Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bad driving rant, with radical advice.

LDO

This rant is about people exiting a gas station or other business onto a busy street. Incident happened about 30 minutes ago. Gas station at a big intersection; 5 lanes north and south, 3 lanes east and west. A driver exited into northbound traffic at a red light, and tried to get into a westbound turn lane. With very little space and time to pull this off, only the bumper was in the turn lane, between two vehicles...the rest of the car blocking my lane. I thought about just laying on the horn, but decided not to. When the light turned green, everybody moved forward. Two cars now damaged. I started to drive around the car blocking my lane...then the driver swerved right, nearly causing a second collision. I should have honked. Maybe it would have brought one or both of the other drivers out of their trance.

Any time I see someone who obviously wants to go all the way across a big intersection, I NEVER yield for them. I don't want to wait while they block 3 lanes. Yes, I saw someone block that many lanes. They were in some 1970s land yacht.

Here's the radical advice: if you have no good options for exiting that gas station, go to a different gas station. (Or take the safe, but inconvenient exit) Yeah, that requires thinking ahead, but it beats getting in to an accident.

Just about everything beats getting into an accident. In an accident with no one getting hurt physically, you need to call the police, exchange info, give the police your info and side of the story, get a copy of the police report, call your insurance company, explain what happened, get estimates for repairs, take the vehicle in for repairs, and pay the deductible when the vehicle is finished, hopefully to your liking. If someone gets hurt, it's a whole new ballgame.

Two different incidents. Saw a fender-bender today. The car blocking three lanes was another day, no accident...but boy, if I had an M923 5-ton truck...and I would LOVE to have one of those. No practical use for it, but I drove one in the Army one summer. I really like that truck.