Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why No Large Production Resin Models?

A bit earlier someone asked about bubbles in plastic and during that discussion the fact there are industrial strength resin casting machines came up, but none are used for making kits.

I've been thinking about this for awhile now. We hear how expensive injection molded plastic kits are to tool up, and obviously the aftermarket resin casters are able to make a kit for a miniscule fraction of this cost, although granted the potential output is drastically smaller.

Why is there such a gap in technology? It seems strange that nobody has taken that middle technology between the out of the home resin casters and the "big boys" (Revell, AMT etc). It seems like that would be a perfect solution for those frequently asked for but relatively low volume kits.

I'm guessing the big companies just don't bother and the cost is beyond even the big resin casters budgets, but it still seems odd.

.....and the cost is beyond even the big resin casters budgets, but it still seems odd.

I am still a newbie to the scene but I can say that I've noticed even the "big" resin casters are usually one person doing the casting work. Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland is that way. Norm is a one man show from what I've seen and I'm sure my observations are not too far off. I'm sure Lyle can offer more on that topic, as the two are good friends. I'll bet Jimmy Flintstone doesn't have too many people on the payroll either. What about Modelhaus and some of the others?

The gap is not in technology, it's in money and profit margin.

While most resin casters use rubber molds and pressure pots the big boys use steel molds and plastic injection.

It costs thousands of dollars to create one injection steel mold where you can create a rubber mold for less than $100.00.

Edited by old-hermit

Sounds like a good way to make a small fortune......out of a large one!! :lol:

You're probably right about that. :)

Old Hermit that is exactly why I find it strange, I understand the difference between the model companies and our resin industry, I'm talking about the machinery that cranks out 20,000 resin gnomes.

There are all kinds of resin products (mostly nick nacks) cranked out by the thousands. These are not made by some guy in his garage (probably hundreds of kids in China :lol: ). It just seems odd that this type of resin casting has never hopped into this hobby, even as a failure.

Oh, well just a wierd thought that has been bouncing around my head so I thought I'd share. :lol:

Here's a question for you Aaron,

Hobby Lobby, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc will sell 20,000 resin gnomes in a weekend,

ya think our hobby will support sale's of that many resin car body's or part's ?

Edited by old-hermit