Model Cars Magazine Forum

You mean the V shaped sander that slides into the dump bed?

I have one around the corner from the station that has been put away for the season and is hanging from a rack all by itself if you need any details.

PLEASE!!! I used to drive plows with those type hoppers like that, but it's been a long time and WV is going over to beds that have the conveyors built into them for more yearround use.

Yeah, this plow looks pretty well used. It is one of the older plows and maybe even acquired second hand. Most of the parks plows are heavy duty Oshkosh plows, these smaller trucks are mostly used for sanding and clearing the smaller roads.

Ok, I got some photos of the sanders. They are not in the best spot to get photos but I think between the two, I got enough to show off the important details.

sander1.jpg

sander2.jpg

sander3.jpg

sander4.jpg

sander5.jpg

Same style as the tan unit, but in the winter it gets mounted directly on a truck frame instead of being mounted in a dump bed, so some fabricated fenders were added to the hopper.

sander6.jpg

sander7.jpg

sander8.jpg

sander9.jpg

sander10.jpg

Edited by Aaronw

Spreader unit, I couldn't get any good photos of the spreading disk, but it is a 22" disk with 6 flanges to spread the sand around.

spreader1.jpg

spreader2.jpg

spreader3.jpg

spreader4.jpg

I was able to get some measurements but take the larger ones with a grain of salt as I was measuring by myself so could be off a bit here and there.

Body 10 feet long, 52" tall, 82" wide across the top, 39" wide across the bottom, 2" L shaped lip around the top (L shape folded over inside the hopper). Overall construction appears to be 3/16" to 1/4" steel sheet.

Flanges (4 per side) 7 1/2" at bottom, 14 1/2" at widest point. L shaped with a 2" fold, 3/16" steel. Spacing (front to back) front edge to #1 15", #1 to #2 28", #2 to #3 19 1/2", #3 to #4 18", #4 to rear edge 24"

Overhang, front 13" at the bottom, 1/2" at top, rear 20" at bottom, 2" at top

Conveyer housing 24" wide, 11" tall, belt 22" wide, 6" tall, sand door at back end 18" wide, 12" tall

Spreader

chute 24" wide, 12" thick, narrows to 7 1/2" at bottom, 32" tall (to top of lower section). Base 25x25", flaps around base 6" x 25" (1/8" steel), spinning disk 22" dia, 6 flanges 1 1/2" tall, about 8" long. Disk is 1/4" steel plate

Edited by Aaronw

Here are a few more to highlight some details

The spreader disk

spreader5.jpg

Close up of the conveyer (front end)

sander11.jpg

Underside for the more obsesively detail oriented :D it isn't really obvious but there is a floor running through the middle of the belt

sander12.jpg

The back end showing the adjustable door to regulate sand flow (I assume)

sander13.jpg

The ribs looking forward, notice the rear rib (closest in the photo) is bent in the opposite direction of the other 3.

sander14.jpg

The inside through the little hatch looking forward

sander15.jpg

Edited by Aaronw