Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rex White 60 Chevy

MarkJ

• 2 weeks later...
building a track car?

Yes, 'rollinoldskoo'. I'm into vintage Nascar race cars. Hopefully this model will look like the number 4 Chevy in the picture below. Rex White won the championship in this car in 1960. I'm trying to build a model of each of the cars he competed in during his Nascar career.

rexlewwis60chevy-vi.jpg

Great subject! I'm somewhat familiar with Rex White's similar '59 Chevy but I've never seen the '60 version before. How did you make the instrument panel and gauge faces? Are they home-made or purchased? Looks like this will be a great build! :P

The guages were made by slicing off the ends of styrene tubes like the ones you see in the the first pic above. I then went to the stewart and warner guage site where they have pictures of different guages and used my adobe to make them real small and print them on decal paper and glued them inside the guage openings. They are kinda rough looking but on models like these you have to scratchbuild alot of stuff for them. Thanks

I dig the old stock cars too, I never saw Rex's '60, I'm more familiar with his '62 car with the #4 on it. Looking sharp so far, man did those cars run fast for that time period!

Bob

Thanks Bob. Below is the 62 Rex White Chevy I built last year. It replicates the car he won the Dixie 400 in.

bnbpic.jpg

Great builds, fascinating subjects!

My folks moved to Huntsville Alabama in 1959, did business with te local Pontiac store where the race teams would roost when in town for races...

Saw the short track cars up close, so 'pounded' that they were just a general shape resembling the car from a distance.The Rex White 60 was one I remember seeing there.

Last summer I discovered a book in 2 volumes written by Marvin Panch from that same era... costs about $40, worth the $ for the history and photos, great account from one of the biggies of the sport. www.marvinpanch.com

Edited by rick r

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the finished chassis. I removed the gas tank which was installed inside the trunk on this car . Added two shocks to the rear axle and installed the extra beam to the frame that they attached the roll bar to. Most of Rex White's race cars had the frames painted red.

ltframe.jpg