Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rookie's first castings!

I got an Alumilite casting kit for Christmas this year, and just got around to trying it out. I figured I'd start with something simple. So, I went with the Edelbrock flathead cylinder heads and two carb intake from the R/M 40 Ford Coupe. These will see duty on a '53 F100.

model132.jpg

After these turned out, I was feeling pretty brave, so I molded and cast these 8 lug slot mags. These will be destined for my '77 F-250.

model131.jpg

It was actually alot simpler than I thought. There's still a bit of a learning curve, but overall, I'm pretty pleased for a first attempt. Also a quick question, what could I use to ready these for paint? The wheels look dirty in the pic, and they actually are a little. I want to have the best possible finish on these.

You can give them a soak in blech wite, which will remove any oils or mold release on the parts. Blech wite is a tire cleaner you can find in many auto parts shops. Then scrub them with a tooth brush.

Personally I've found Krylon grey primer seems to work best on resin parts, but any good primer should work.

Nice job looks better than my first attempts. What I've found is as my experience increases, my castings don't make a dramatic improvement but I get much better at estimating how much silicone / resin I need and I have much less wastage. It's always a good idea to have an extra mold ready to go or an extra part you want to cast so that any excess you've mixed up doesn't go to waste, you just end up with an extra part or mold for the future.

• 1 month later...

Nice work. I just started this same practice mid way through last year and I have been having a blast molding parts for future projects. It's great knowing now that I don't have to buy a kit simply for one part. Just cast it and make as many as you, when you need them.