Model Cars Magazine Forum

Malco Gasser

mmdm4

Does anybody know if the Malco Gasser was ever produced with a flat hood? There is someone on e-bay selling a "professionally" painted body that he claims is from the original Malco Gasser kit. I have never seen a photo of the original Malco Gasser without the teardrop hood and when I asked the seller he said he checked with his source who is a drag racing fan who claims the original Malco had a flat hood. I know the Street Freak mustang is almost a copy of the Malco car but it has a flat hood.

Nope.....the originals all had the hood bulge. A lot of modlers would LOVE to see it restored. While the MPC Malaco gassers were not totally accurate, the Street Freak version is even more so. Its a good base if you're going to do a lot of scratch building to get it right but the emphasis is on "a lot of scratch building."

The AMT pro street Mustang was a reissue version of the Original MPC Malco Gasser was with a modified with a FLAT hood and different tires and wheels and side exhausts and other mods, but was pretty much 85% the Malco Gasser kit..The AMT Street Freak mustang is the reissue of the High Roller A/FX Mustang kit from the 1960's a completely different kit.

post-6461-0-29079700-1340725856_thumb.jp

post-6461-0-03194800-1340725857_thumb.jp

Edited by kitswapper

i would just like to add that the original malco gasser kit [and every other reissue] had a accurate rear 1967 mustang body while the flip front ends were totally inaccurate 1965-6 mustang front ends.to remedy this situation you would have to graft the hood buldge [or entire hood] to a 1967 front end you removed from another mustang.i removed mine from a 1967 mustang chopped top funny car that is no longer made.the original malco gasser mustang[real car] did not have a front spoiler which was added later and still later the car had a front end with no headlights and no spoiler.ohio george raced this car from 1967 to 1971[or later].

Hi Mark,

a few years ago I built this version using the AMT Pro Street re-issue. It just so happend that someone was selling a resin nose to build a more accurate version. I did recently buy a built car on EBay, for the chassis to use on another project that did have the correct hood bulge, but with grille headlights and such of a '65-66 car.

DadsPictures017.jpg

dadsphotos536.jpg

Edited by madhorseman

• 3 weeks later...