Model Cars Magazine Forum

60's gassers

90lowboy

You can get parts from many Gasser kits. I think that if you are looking for high leaf springs, take them out from Monogram's BadMan kit. That kit has also quite good axle, but you get better one from Revell's '41 Willys Gasser. Also Revell Miss Deal Funny Car ('53 Studebaker Commander) has good axle systems and ladder bars. Also that BadMan kit has good ladder bars. I think that you got good basis for the build if you just buy just some Gasser kit, they all must have good leaf springs and maybe ladder bars too, but good front axle comes from Revell '41 Willys, as I said before. :lol: For example, BadMan's front axle is not so good, it's just a straight tubing. If that axle would be in 1:1 scale, wheels would not turn nowhere.

Here is a picture of my '57 Nomad, it has the BadMan from axle system, and I'm not happy about that axle.

P9300190.jpg

P9300197.jpg

theirs a site? www.straightlinemodeler.org it works good 4 straight axle & springs and somewere in tips tutar is axle & spring for 4x4 their both good in different ways on springs.im still trying to get 1 right ha ha!some day.but snap tight 4x4`s will give good springs and scrap plastic 4 strait axle in picture`s dirt cheep:) and those are bad man parts or mono`s 55 in black it also has this front but no cool rims & ladder bar?like said any gasser kit but none are as good as home built.another sorce that looks pretty good and cheep is linberg`s little red wagon but agin no ladder bars.

Edited by a/gass

You can get parts from many Gasser kits. I think that if you are looking for high leaf springs, take them out from Monogram's BadMan kit. That kit has also quite good axle, but you get better one from Revell's '41 Willys Gasser. Also Revell Miss Deal Funny Car ('53 Studebaker Commander) has good axle systems and ladder bars. Also that BadMan kit has good ladder bars. I think that you got good basis for the build if you just buy just some Gasser kit, they all must have good leaf springs and maybe ladder bars too, but good front axle comes from Revell '41 Willys, as I said before. B) For example, BadMan's front axle is not so good, it's just a straight tubing. If that axle would be in 1:1 scale, wheels would not turn nowhere.

Here is a picture of my '57 Nomad, it has the BadMan from axle system, and I'm not happy about that axle.

P9300190.jpg

P9300197.jpg

i think it look`s good ? any body could nit pic it!but if it was fun 2 u you will keep progresion and come back and change things as u get older ha HA HA!like my 71 grand prix in prosses of changin from gasser like this (with bad man parts malco mus parts + i dont know parts ha ha!)to back yard mechanic mid 80`s street racer.happy modeling mike

HI! Does anybody know who or where I can get gasser parts, tube front axle,"old school" ladder bars? Or any Ideas on building these? THANKS...

In my opinion, the best SINGLE source for gasser parts is the new Revell gasser kits. I'm talking the Maz & SWC models here.

However, many of the "Gasser" components can easily be fabricated from various materials on hand. Brass/aluminum tubing for straight axles, sheet plastic & metal for springs, tubing for shocks and on & on.

Hope this helps.

TimP

In my opinion, the best SINGLE source for gasser parts is the new Revell gasser kits. I'm talking the Maz & SWC models here.

However, many of the "Gasser" components can easily be fabricated from various materials on hand. Brass/aluminum tubing for straight axles, sheet plastic & metal for springs, tubing for shocks and on & on.

Hope this helps.

TimP

I'm with you, 100%, Tim. I've bought at least a couple dozen of the Revell Willys kits just for parts. Not only are the Maz and SWC kits trasure troves for vintage gasser stuff, but the street machine version is full of great modern suspension stuff, like the Mustang II front suspension.

And I completely agree about scratchbuilding these parts, too. It's a snap to convert the Revell front axle to be poseable, but it's almost as easy to just make the steering axle from scratch. I also make all my ladder bars anymore - it's easy and they'll be unique to your model.

1150.jpg

FEB0205B.jpg

Mark,

What you're doing and showing here is exactly what I am talking about. Not only are there VERY useable parts to be used as is, but they are easily modified. Many parts are just as easy to fabricate like you show with the traction bars!

TimP

Hey, what can I say? I learned from the best - you guys on SLM!

Try Reliable Resin. I did not see items listed on Don's new site. But send him an email and he can fix you up. Good quality parts. I've been using his Gasser/AFX rear suspension. I'm awaiting some of his big boy springs. On Speed City's site, he has a tutorial on building a tube front axle. I've scratch built my own leaf springs, front and rear. It's not rocket science. But many years ago I learned, if you can buy it, don't waste your time building it. Unless you enjoy building items. It really depends on my mood. Reliable Resin's "Big Boy Springs" have a nice high arch for that real gasser look. Aaron Dupont

• 2 weeks later...