Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Trabant 601s

GeeBee

It doesn't seem to be catching on anything at the front, the hinges are held in place by the dashboard panel, before the dash went in the bonnet lined up and fitted perfectly, I might try tweeking the bonnet hinge to see if I can get it to sit down better

Did a little tweaking with the bonnet hinges, and at least there's no gap on the leading edge of the bonnet, so that's the best it's going to get and I can live with it now ...the next one I'll build I'm going to hold the bonnet in with masking tape while fixing the headlamp rings in place, as I think they need to come up just a little.

2015-02-09%2011.13.38_zpstrj1ilqq.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

By the way how is the other one coming along?

Back in primer Jim, it will get back on the bench as soon as this one is finished, I don't usually have two builds on the go at the same time.

2015-02-09%2015.24.34_zps0jesbpiy.jpg

2015-02-09%2015.24.45_zpskaw9etv1.jpg

I will probably be taking a break from the modelling until later in the year, I will get the little champagne Rabbi finished, then I'll be shutting the hobby room until the Autumn, the good weather is just around the corner so I'll be out with the cameras adding more photos to my portfolio, you can see my photography website here

http://geoffbrown63.wix.com/gmb-photography

Edited by GeeBee

Still got a few months to go here before spring fever hits Geoff, so I'll be messing around on the work bench for a couple more months anyways. Once spring does hit, I got to get my MG Midget ready for for the summer. The wife says she wants alot more cruses in it this year than what we had time for last year.

Beats the almost six feet of snow we've gotten here in the last three weeks from the sounds of it, Geoff.

That Trabant is absolutely stunning. I thought it would never say that about one of those.

Looking forward to seeing this one completed.

Charlie Larkin

Cheers Charlie, the weathers not so warm today, but Spring is only around the corner, I will get this finished and get the Universal in top coat before closing the hobby room until the autumn.

I do like building models of quirky cars, infact I like the full size ones as well, yep there slow, and don't have a lot of luxuries like we get on modern cars, but they just have so much character, many years ago I was asked to go along to an international Trabant meeting as there official photographer, I wasn't going to take the job as it quite a way from where I live, but I did do the job, and I ended up having a great day, the people who own Trabants are certainty not stuck up their own rear end like some owners of other classic cars I've had the misfortune of having to photograph and interview the owners for magazines I've worked for.

I am just starting mine. Any assembly issues?

The only caution I'd give is on the fender top trim. First, if you are going to use them, put them on before paint.... not afterwards like on the instructions. They are spindly little pieces that don't go on well. You may be better off chucking them and using Evergreen stock instead. Some of the decals are microscopic and easy to lose, namely the one for the steering wheel center and the wheel dust caps. I lost two of those! To glue on the headlight rims, tape the hood in place first, and align them to match the edges. Otherwise the kit nearly builds itself!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Strangely I didn't have any problems with the top fender and door trims, but did have problems with them on the Universal, the tip about lining up the bonnet before putting the headlamp rims is a good one, I figured that one out while putting the Universal together.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll get this finished even if it kills me !!

I've been de-cluttering the hobby room, and selling a few models on eBay, anyhoo, I've polished the front & rear windscreens, airbrushed the rubber seal using matt black VHT paint, as it gives a very nice matt finish, got the rear screen fixed into place using a small dabs of clear epoxy

2015-03-04%2017.17.45_zpsp9pcyixi.jpg

2015-03-04%2017.17.36_zpsn0gte8qo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I like that paint. The VHT paint is nice stuff, I've used the chassis satin black a few times, and it looks good.

That matt black looks great. I might try squirting it in the airbrush and doing exactly as you did next time I have rubbery stuff to paint.

Charlie Larkin

• 2 months later...

Not sure why, but since March it seems I just lost my Mojo, and just couldn't make myself go into the hobby room, even though I have plenty of time to do so, tried a few times but just could get anything done.

A few days ago my Mojo returned and now my modelling seems to be back to normal and I've been cracking on with the little Trabbi, just the front wipers, side mirrors and a few decals to apply and it will be finally finished .....

Side%20window%20frames%20painted_zpsu6wy

Rear%20side%20windows%20fitted%201_zpsyg

Rear%20side%20windows%20fitted%203_zpstb

Front%20side%20windows%20fitted_zpsijggs

Got the wipers and the door mirrors fitted, the mirrors were fixed into place using 90 second clear epoxy and held in place using a small set square until the glue sets rock hard, just two decals to fit now and she is 100% finished ....

Door%20Mirrors%20fitted_zpsyrpu22jj.jpg

Great work on a not so great auto, did they ever do a real one on Wheeler Dealer? You do fantastic detail work.

No, not a brilliant car, but you were lucky to have one in what was then East Germany, there was a waiting list for a new one, and although Trabant wanted to update the 601, the GDR Government kept saying no, so the 601 was kept in production a lot longer than it was originally designed for. and like outer "People Cars" the Trabant is one of those iconic cars.

No, there has never been a Trabant on Wheeler Dealers, not sure they would make any money out of it, over here you can either buy a complete wreck or a mint condition one, which will cost no more than £3,000 ($4,500).

No, there has never been a Trabant on Wheeler Dealers, not sure they would make any money out of it, over here you can either buy a complete wreck or a mint condition one, which will cost no more than £3,000 ($4,500).

There was one at a Philadelphia area old car dealer in the $8000 range. I was curious and thought I'd take a peak since I never saw one in person, but forgot about it. It would be fun to drive one, if I saw one locally for $1000 or two, it might be cool to have one for a summer.