Model Cars Magazine Forum

Many US EBay Sellers Will Opt In For International Shipping Soon

Disappointing this got shoved down here, after asking mods specifically NOT to do so!!

If you post a topic in the wrong place, the moderators will move it to where it was supposed to be posted. Why do you think that you can post a topic wherever you feel like posting it?

So your topic got "shoved" down here, where it belongs. Why is that a problem for you?

Speaking only in general, but that's not the specific issue in this case

The subject is the difference between using the "Global shipping" progam eBay tries to force on sellers & buyers - in turn - and that it isn't necessary, as for the example of small packages, like a single or double box kit, there is not any brokerage nor taxes charged via postal, making the "Shipping program" a cash grab, the only benefit being perhaps a shorter shipping time

This is not Ebay's fault, this is the brokers that deal with the import/export of stuff to Canada, they are the ones that are making it very expensive to to ship to/from Canada. It does not matter what method, or what carrier you use, they all have to pay the broker fees to get the stuff in an out.

Research is your friend ;)

It is true that postal service is under funded - over funded in some respects - but in this case that is the preferred method, given the unnecessary extra being charged for courier service, which is not necessary for hobby size packages, when postal is a perfectly reliable and most effective option, in this example

Well you figure a lot of people don`t use the postal service that much anymore. People don`t send letters they send emails packages are not much anymore as people use to. So the postal had to get there money somewhere that's why the shipping charges are crazy. The postal workers have to get there pension money and early retirement from somewhere . That's just my two cents worth.

John Pol

I haven't purchased a kit from a US seller on eBay and had it shipped to my door in a couple years now. Being as close as I am to the US border, I take advantage of package depots that accept parcels for Canadians so that we only have to pay domestic US shipping charges. Saves a bundle, you better believe it! Yes, I still have to pay the sales tax on the purchase price of the item, but 13% tax (here in NB) on a model kit is a lot cheaper than getting it shipped to my door. I do the same with car parts as well; in one case I saved over $500 than buying local!

You would be surprised. Internal shipping rates for Canada Post are more expensive than shipping to/from the US. I purchased a kit from a seller in BC; it was cheaper to have it shipped to my US PO box than to have it shipped to my door. And that is within the country!

I found that with a trading partner I had in Alberta that it was actually cheaper for him to have me buy the kit off of ebay for him, have it shipped to me, then reship it to him than for him to buy it. We did that on a couple of deals and and it was cheaper for each of us to do it that way including his shipping to ship me his end of the trade than it was just for the ebay shipping rate that he had to pay! Maybe if those of you in the frozen north have a trusted trading partner in the states, it may be an alternative to look into.

A few months ago, I started a thread about eBay's then soon-to-be-launched Global Shipping Program. At the time, I thought it would (should, could) be a great thing for international sales. Unfortunately, after opting in to it and looking at the actual program, I was very disappointed.

In the past, I have not shipped many items internationally due to several reasons, cost of tracking and risk of no tracking being primary among them. I had hoped this would be a solution.

The shipping prices for this program are completely outrageous. I have a set of Decals listed on eBay that I could ship First Class International to the UK (or Canada) for less than a dollar and a half. That, of course, does not include tracking and does involve risk (I've never had a problem in the US using tracking; however, First Class International has resulted in about a 5% chargeback due to claims of non-receipt). In short, eBay comes up with a price of $19 and some odd cents for a letter-sized package to the UK.

I left the Global Shipping Program in place on a couple of my accounts, but I don't expect anyone to use it. The account I typically offer Decals and paper items on, I don't offer Global Shipping; rather, I charge a straight $3 to cover postage, envelopes, and eBay fees. I just take the loss on items that are claimed non-delivered. Still, I won't ship anything other than letter-type items internationally.

It's unfortunate; this could have been a great thing for the eBay community, both domestic and international.