Model Cars Magazine Forum

Many US EBay Sellers Will Opt In For International Shipping Soon

Boxes, shipping materials, and time are not free.

The opening bid should be priced accordingly, then. Most of the time when I receive parcels the box is something the seller had lying around and the shipping materials are old newspapers; doesn't exactly break the bank!

The opening bid should be priced accordingly, then. Most of the time when I receive parcels the box is something the seller had lying around and the shipping materials are old newspapers; doesn't exactly break the bank!

My thoughts exactly as for time well if you want to sell you've got to put the time in to do the ad etc so that's part of it.

That is true but let's call twelve bucks for handling/materials for an average kit what it is: piracy. There are people to whom money is no object when it comes to getting what they want but I believe the majority of us are um, 'frugal' , to quote a member here. We don't want to waste the extra money for fancy new packing material and express shipping. It doesn't take long to pack a kit and if a guy has done it a few times and plans to keep it up, it's not long before he gets an eye for the appropriate sized used boxes that can usually be obtained for nothing and starts putting a few aside. I won't charge handling and I'm not in it for the money anyways. It's a part time hobby in itself that gives me the satisfaction of supplying something to someone that he/she can't get anywhere else and it helps me get the kits and stuff I really do want.

mike

Most buyers think it should be. Then add on Ebay and Paypal's constantly rising fees involved . Then the positive feedback only that a seller can leave has turned me against ebay as a seller in a big way.

Ebay is all for protecting the buyer only and wants nothing from the seller 'except his sellers fees ' and has been for some time.

What I found amusing was shortly after Ebay's purchase of Paypal . All sellers were forced to offer / accept some form of online payment required was initiated . Oddly enough, they recomend Paypal

Heard any stories from sellers latetly that an arbitration case was found in there favor ?

Edited by gtx6970

Most buyers think it should be. Then add on Ebay and Paypal's constantly rising fees involved.

Actually, eBay just lowered their fees a month or so ago, and the typical seller's fee is now a flat 10%, where it used to be 13%.

As for boxes, Priority Mail boxes ARE free from USPS, and they'll ship as many as you want straight to your door. You an do a lot with crumpled up newspaper, too, and if you ever set foot inside a grocery store, there are bound to be plenty of them free for the taking.

On another note, I just received some eBay models where the seller listed $8.95 shipping on the bid amount. When it arrived, the postage stamp showed $12.07, but there was no adjustment to my final price. Sometimes, you get lucky.

...or the seller was principled enough to stick with his quote though he may have misjudged the shipping rate. To me, that's true customer service.

Still sellers like that around despite ebay's strange bias against them, the bread and butter that keeps ebay going.

mike

Edited by mk11

many ebay sellers I've noticed give artificially inflated shipping prices, in order to offer an item at lower "visual" price, it's a ploy, and doesn't reflect the actual shipping cost, if you were to get a UPS quote directly, the two would not match

if you purchase a few smaller items and ship via UPS or FedEx ground, then brokerage should be minimal or none, at least in my experience I have learned that, because they base the brokerage and duty not on size nor weight, but on price/value declared on the package

last thing to try, is if you have a larger shipment via UPS or FedEx, is to call them once you package arrives - but before you claim it - and act angry that you weren't made aware of the brokerage/duty costs, and demand they reduce it, which they will do for you - they have for me before - and can save 50% or more by doing that, then insist they re-deliver to your door - which they will

Actually, eBay just lowered their fees a month or so ago, and the typical seller's fee is now a flat 10%, where it used to be 13%.

As for boxes, Priority Mail boxes ARE free from USPS, and they'll ship as many as you want straight to your door. You an do a lot with crumpled up newspaper, too, and if you ever set foot inside a grocery store, there are bound to be plenty of them free for the taking.

Lots of people fell for that one. Fact of the matter is, that for most people the fee went from 9% to 10%. While it's true that eBay standardized fees at 10% for either auction or fixed price, the actual reduction is only for fixed price. That went from 11 - 13% down to a straight 10%. Most everyone, unless a store or volume seller, typically sells at 3, 5, or 7-day auction, which went up.

Priority boxes are free from the Post Office and I use them whenever I ship Priority; however, most of my items will fit the under 13 Oz. weight restriction for First Class and that's significantly less expensive than shipping everything Priority. Most of my First Class shipping is under $4 while Priority is more typically $6 - 8. I'd rather supply a box than arbitrarily ship Priority. Still, shipping about 100 items a month requires the purchase of new boxes, usually $.43 - .45 each, including shipping, rather than rummaging around for recycled ones. That became very ineffective years ago.

Edited by Johnny K

With this new program in effect, if the buyer reports that his item was never received (presumably lost) does the buyer then seek a refund through this 3rd party shipping company? If the records show that the seller sent the item and it was successfully received by the 3rd party, sent to the buyer by the 3rd party but ended up in oblivion, that sure as hell isn't the sellers fault.

After several pain in the butt experiences with international shipping I have refused to do it for years. This could be a game changer.

If the buyer reports that he/she has not received the package, Pitney Bowes will check tracking info. Just like domestic shipping, if item is not received, a refund will be issued; however, this WILL NOT affect the seller after Pitney Bowes has taken possession and shipped. If the tracking shows the item has been delivered, no refund will be made.

This is a game changer, at least from my perspective. No longer do I have to be concerned about shipping delivery, tracking, time involved, refunds for lost items, etc. Additionally, a seller can no longer leave negative feedback for either cost of international shipping (it's solely determined by Pitney Bowes and eBay as well as collected by them) or length of time for delivery.

It should still be noted, though - this program is available to a wide array of countries, but not to all. Care should be taken to coordinate your eBay account with countries this program serves.

Never having sold anything on eBay, can someone please explain to me what the big deal is about potential negative feedback? Do you get shut down for six months if you get one negative remark or something? :huh:

Actually, it's almost difficult to be suspended for feedback. I've seen people with 10 sells, 6 negatives (40% positive), and they're still selling. The odd thing is, people are still buying from them.

The primary reason for wanting great feedback (apart from confidence associated by buyer) is to be found in fees. A seller that meets certain minimum criteria receives up to a 20% fee discount on his final value fees due eBay. One of these criterion is that he/she have a feedback, or SAR, rating of a specific level. While I am not a large seller, it does save me about $20 a month.

'if you purchase ... items UPS or FedEx...'

Not gonna happen. If they (model supply or 1:1 ) won't ship US mail, I won't bother. Got bent over once with an outrageous fee and that cured me.

On the subject of feedback, the last few positive feedbacks for one clown that stiffed me on payment all had very negative comments on this guy because he had stiffed them too but of course, sellers can't leave negative feedback. Just what are the policy people at eb smoking?

I would like to ask a small favor, if I may. If one of you guys is sending out a model car and find yourself with an extra minute or two at the post office, could you ask if parcelpost/first class is still an option for sending north, say Alberta, and what the rate would be. I'd really appreciate the info.

mike

could you ask if parcelpost/first class is still an option for sending north, say Alberta, and what the rate would be. I'd really appreciate the info.

There is only First Class and Priority to Canada as far as I can tell. For U.S to U.S. packages, we have a 13 oz ceiling on First Class packages, but that ceiling is much higher (heavier?) for International packages. Not sure if you can go to USPS.com and view the rate charts and click on the "Calculate a price" tabs, though.

International USPS First Class from the U.S. to most common international destination countries (Canada, UK, Australia/New Zealand, Japan, Norway/Sweden/Netherlands) is $6.16 U.S. for a 3 ounce package, and goes up from there. USPS First Class U.S. to Canada, 12"x12"x12" max size, two pounds weight = $14.54, Priority for the same specs is double that at $28.76

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is more of an informative post, rather than a rant, for the benefit of fellow Canadians, and our Southern neighbors, as many of us deal on eBay for model kits and supplies, between the two countries

I'm not going to rant about eBay being evil or anything like that, this is strictly facts to help out fellow modelers like myself & you, in fact I obviously use the service, it's a great place to find some bargains still, or materials / tools for cheaper pricing!

So I hope this helps many, in the posting for sale, and buying of items on that particular forum :)

I'd appreciate mods please leave thread in this "General" section, for visibility, Thank you

Many people don't realize now that eBay has made it a default, so when you post a new auction item for sale, that it automatically shows shipping via their "Global shipping program" - that is the program where you ship the item(s) to the eBay shipping center & they ship to the buyer in turn

EBay has set this default, so a seller has to manually change the setting for shipping, when they post the auction, but you can also change it afterwards too, in the auction shipping options settings

For sellers, eBay advertise this as better for & easier, which to some degree it can be, but only marginally, you still have to package & transport the package to them, it only eliminates getting a price quote for a buyer - which can be done online easily now

For buyers it is advertised as if you are saving on shipping cost, by not having to pay for import taxes or brokerage fees

Well, here are some facts;

- For a single boxed kit, even double sized kits, shipped via USPS (First class or Priority even), I never am charged either brokerage nor taxation fees, up to about a $50 value package, never!

For a resent $100 value package, my tax fee was under $10, no other fees charged!

- Only with UPS, FedEx or similar courier, do they tack on these fees upon arrival, and buyers are none the wiser, that these do not need to be, that are in fact strictly profit for them

- Time to delivery - Courier service can be faster, but I have still witnessed up to a weeks delay in the shipping of an order. Postal service - I never use regular post, only First class or better - the time can take from 2-4 weeks, and mostly due to the border crossing, which affects either postal or courier

- Security (tracking) - The couriers do track through completely, where as postal only until it hits the border, then CDN postal takes over, but not able to track using the USPS tracking number ....that being said, I've never had a single package lost, never once!

- Cost! - This is the clincher, for a single box kit, the global program will quote a charge of $26-28 USD for shipping fee, plus another $8-12 in "Import charges" on top of that!

That's $34 to $40 for shipping a single kit, and what I have experienced, recently from FedEx, is they will definitely try to bill "Brokerage fees" to the buyer upon delivery!

What do I pay for USPS First class, for a single box kit, never over $20 USD, typically between $12 and $15, that's all

So with the eBay Global shipping option, I would be paying more than double, and sometimes triple, for no real reason or advantage!

- Delivery - An added frustration & expense, is that since many people, like myself, are at work during the day, the courier will not drop the package at your home, but always delivers during the daytime while you're at work, so instead you are left to travel to their depot center & retrieve it yourself

I happen to call and demand they re-deliver, but they figure that their single delivery try obligation has been met, and will try to argue (I just happen to argue stronger :) )

Crazy stuff, so please use this information, as a buyer or a seller, in consideration of buyers costs involved, I myself have chosen to refuse placing a bid on any item, where the seller will not quote me to ship via that standard practise, that is their choice of course, as much as it is mine

Most sellers have been good when I message - prior to posting a bid - explaining the problem, but it means typing this long cumbersome explanation, and some sellers simply don't respond, or some say "to bad" ....that's a shame when you're wanting to purchase an item, and are in god standing, but just don't want to throw out $20-$40+ for shipping unnecessarily, for an average $20-30 item purchase

Hope that helps!

regards

Jeremy

Edited by Jeremy Jon

I see. This might explain why I've noticed abnormally high shipping rates, double, triple & in 1 case quadruple the actual price of the kit. I simply won't bid or buy a kit, advertised for $1 or any other amount, if the shipping is astronomically high. It's ridiculous!

At the end of the day if the seller doesn't change his/her default shipping rate then they're the ones who are going to lose out & eventually go out of business. Simple really.

Thanks for the heads up. I've stopped selling my surpluse kits from my collection because of the odd fees and outrageous shipping pricing for a box of plastic that weighs less than 2 lbs.! eBay use to be a great place and a lot easier for the average person to sell off their extra stuff and maybe make a little money. But now it's hard to break even with them picking away at the final value. PayPal even dings your account for their piece of the action! Mind you, I'm not trying to get rich, all I want to do is reduce the clutter and share some kits that I'll never get arround to building.

I know that the issues of eBay have been discussed before so I'm sorry for my little rant. It's just that it has changed into something that no longer caters to the average person and unless you have a "store" it's just not worth listing with them!

Disappointing this got shoved down here, after asking mods specifically NOT to do so!!

No problem guys, this is meant to help both buyers and sellers alike, especially in this particular situation

Hopefully it will still be seen down here in Off topic, where less visible :rolleyes:

Well you figure a lot of people don`t use the postal service that much anymore. People don`t send letters they send emails packages are not much anymore as people use to. So the postal had to get there money somewhere that's why the shipping charges are crazy. The postal workers have to get there pension money and early retirement from somewhere . That's just my two cents worth.

John Pol

Disappointing this got shoved down here, after asking mods specifically NOT to do so!!

No problem guys, this is meant to help both buyers and sellers alike, especially in this particular situation

Hopefully it will still be seen down here in Off topic, where less visible :rolleyes:

How is it less visible?

Also, I would like the next cop that pulls me over to just go ahead and give me a warning instead of a ticket.

My business ships packages to Canada a lot, you guys get screwed on a lot of stuff. I ship tools and supplies and the duties and fees end up making it usually 1.5 times or more the actual cost of the tool, not including the shipping.

This is not Ebay's fault, this is the brokers that deal with the import/export of stuff to Canada, they are the ones that are making it very expensive to to ship to/from Canada. It does not matter what method, or what carrier you use, they all have to pay the broker fees to get the stuff in an out.

Research is your friend ;)