Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Oldsmobile Nascar - Curtis Turner

wgflatliner

Hey guys, i'm currently working on the 1950 Olds and will be building it up as the Curtis Turner NASCAR. I have the decals and know a little bit about the car, such as the paint being a red color.

I was able to get the engine, and frame/chassis built up, and will need to get the floor pan set in place next. I do plan on doing a textured black for that, and will then start assembling the rest of the engine bay.

I'm really wanting to do a good job with this, and this includes taking my time to make sure it's done right. All mold lines and ejector pin molds will be cleaned up.

I do have some questions:

What red, in a spray can, would be the closest to the correct red? I'm ok with lacquer, enamel, or acrylics, as long as the color is as close to the actual car as possible.

Is there an all-in-one research site with color pics so i can build it up as correct as possible? All of the pictures on google are in black and white, so that doesn't help.

For the finish of a vintage NASCAR, would there be a clear coat or would it just be waxed?

I will post up progress pics when i get home.

• 6 months later...

For the finish of a vintage NASCAR, would there be a clear coat or would it just be waxed?

Most certainly NOT clearcoated in the '50s, and most certainly painted with synthetic enamel...nice gloss without sanding / polishing, but nowhere near as glossy as the over-restored stuff that you see in a lot of museum pieces today. Lettering and numbers would have been hand-painted on, so the effect of a decal on the surface of the paint on a model looks about right.

...try Randy Ayers' site more poss. info...

http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/index.php

The Randy Ayers site is more late model. Early cars from 1948 are in the Darkside Racers topics.

You might want to look at the Legends of Nascar site as well...this is the Curtis Turner page...

http://www.fireballroberts.com/curtis_turner1.htm

Edited by Ace-Garageguy