Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bj and the Bear truck "restored"

Hey Everyone!! This is a model of the Bj and the Bear truck restored after sitting in a junkyard in Douglasville,Ga for 20 years. The model is built very close to the way the truck looks now in 2011.Heres some pic's...IMG_1508.jpgIMG_1512.jpgIMG_1511.jpgIMG_1510.jpgIMG_1513.jpg Don't be shy,Let me know what Y'all think...Thanks for lookin'...Roy

Edited by roy lingefelt

Looks good, Roy.

Did you hand-paint the stripes or are they decals? Reason I ask is dads truck was painted in the Blue 'Salem' scheme like this one, and I wanted to know how you got it so straight and the Gold separation pinstipe so crisp.

Nice Mate. Very smooth

What brand kit is the trailer? Does it have the side door on the other side?

Cheers

Chris

Hey Chris!! It's an Itelari 48ft western reefer trailer that I shortened to 40ft.I am in the process of adding the side door. I will post some more detailed pics end to end of it that I missed. Have you got any pic's of Bj truck projects? If so, post them on here!!! Thanks Roy

Looks good, Roy.

Did you hand-paint the stripes or are they decals? Reason I ask is dads truck was painted in the Blue 'Salem' scheme like this one, and I wanted to know how you got it so straight and the Gold separation pinstipe so crisp.

Hey Bradley!! The stripes are decals that I got from Jerry/phoneguy at...www.modeltruckin.com ,He has alot of truck decals of many different liveries.He also stands behind what he sells with very good service!!! I know, because I had 1 door logo on this truck that was smudged apart and it was unusable.So Jerry sent me the replacements, No charge whatsoever!!! I am very happy with his products and great service!!! Also, I have heard real good things about J-BOT Decals/Jim Botatis...He also makes the Bj decals.I hope this helps!!! Roy

Roy, thanks for the decal/stripe info. It does help a lot. At least I can order up a set and remove the Red section to border the Blue I will be using. Thanks again, and nice looking combo you have there.

You don't have to worry about the red. When you see the decals in the store, you'll know why. It is the black/gold stripes and the white lettering.

Jerry

Hey Roy!

That trailer looks great modified. I have the ERTL Great Dane Reefer with side door but the extra ribs need to be added and some heavy mods on the rear. This 48ft-er that you have done has the correct 'ribbing' and looks a tad more accurate. Now I'm thinking I might get one of these as well and modify likewise. How involved is the shortening?

I'm at the moment waiting very patiently for some Ben W. wheels to be cast so I can continue my BJ build. Not sure how long they are going to be as Ben said he's waiting for some earlier parts to be cast by his 'man' before he sends away the 10-hole alcoas that I need. Fingers crossed it wont be too long!! I kind of like to build 'in sequence' so don't really want to start the trailer until the tractor is built. The engine is nearly done so I will try to post some pics of that soon.

Cheers

Chris

Hey Roy!

That trailer looks great modified. I have the ERTL Great Dane Reefer with side door but the extra ribs need to be added and some heavy mods on the rear. This 48ft-er that you have done has the correct 'ribbing' and looks a tad more accurate. Now I'm thinking I might get one of these as well and modify likewise. How involved is the shortening?

I'm at the moment waiting very patiently for some Ben W. wheels to be cast so I can continue my BJ build. Not sure how long they are going to be as Ben said he's waiting for some earlier parts to be cast by his 'man' before he sends away the 10-hole alcoas that I need. Fingers crossed it wont be too long!! I kind of like to build 'in sequence' so don't really want to start the trailer until the tractor is built. The engine is nearly done so I will try to post some pics of that soon.

Cheers

Chris

Hey Chris!! It was so easy...Even I could do it!! LOL!!! Seriously,It was easy,The roof,floor,and sides are 2 pieces each.It is harder to explain than it is to actually do it.What you see in these pics,reefer excluded...Took about 1 1/2 hours to get the box where it is now!!! If you had 1 in front of you...You would see how rediculously easy it is to do!!! Building the reefer was harder,And it wasn't very hard!! Oh,by the way the only bodywork will be on the roof,If you do it like I did...Zoom in on the pics to say 200-300 on your computer and look very closely and you should be able to get yours right!!! I hope this helps!!! Cheers Roy

Very nice Roy.

That side door looks awesome Mate. The reason I like that trailer is the ribs, much closer to the Brown trailer than the Fruehauf ones which have twice as many ribs. I've read a few criticisms of the Italeri 48ft reefer but I think from memory the complaints are about the length(I could be wrong) but as it's modified to a 40ft, I really think I need to get one.

Can't wait to see it in the BJ colours, or as you Yanks spell it-colors!!!

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Guys!! The only complaint I have with this trailer was no drip rail above the rear doors and the wheels and tires...They were the first thing to be removed from the kit!!! However, I will never pass one of these up,If the price is fair!!! This is a very good "curbside" trailer(absolutely no interior detail)...Which is fine with me!! And it's a very easy build to boot!!! Roy

Hey Everyone!! I'm postin a few more pics of the progress...IMG_1705-1.jpgIMG_1707-1.jpgIMG_1706-1.jpgIMG_1717.jpgIMG_1714.jpg The trailer only has temporary 1/8" black automotive pinstripes on it until the decals come in...I did that just to take it to the IPMS show,And it still has the wrong tires/wheels also.It will be dead on the money before the next show!!! Thanks for lookin'...Roy