Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dirty Donny's Vantasy (70's style of coarse!)

Well since I'm in a 70's style build mode, i picked up one of these Vantasy models.. I plan on doing it pretty much box stock since it's already 70's style!

d9581960.jpg

I am going with maroon and red metal flake, should look good in this colour! I already know which murals I'm gonna use.. i'll show them once i get the body painted! The decals are flat on this model, so i'll have to apply them and clear over them, then wet sand and polish. This should be a simple build (no flocking or wiring on the motor since it won't be seen anyway. I plan on spending all my time on the body.

6bdc6ee3.jpg

Edited by Shelbytona

I am loving this already and i havent even seen any W.I.P pictures yet! , this will look awesome when completed

Thanks! It looks like a really cool model.. too bad it's a LWB tho, doesn't really make it a street van, but oh well!

I got the body lines scribed, sanded all the mold lines off and cut the hole for the sunroof. Tomorrow i'll wet sand it and begin painting.

49c66ee6.jpg

hi mate... these kits are very nice to build i am also doing one now lol... the only thing i can say is the steering linkage's dont line up... but other then that so far i havent had much problems with the kit... good luck with it i'll be watching yours for sure.

stu

Thanks for the tip! i got the colour sprayed on... i figured this metal flake would be easier to cover since it's like dust, but i was wrong! what a PITA! laquer clear would not cover the flake (way too thin) so i had to mix up some eurothane high build dupont clear and it covered no problem!, now i have a ton of wet sanding to do and then decaling and clearing again.

It looks like an old school paint job! tons of metal flake.. the pics don't really show it well, but i'll get better ones.

1708a54b.jpg

ead831e5.jpg

Thanks!

I got the final coat of clear on it this morning.. i used automotive clear again and it looks miles deep with the metal flake and the flat decals came alive with the clear! Tonight i'll probably black wash the seams, and add the marker lights (this kit should have came with decals or at least details of marker lights) I'm gonna add the side bubble windows with the shrunken head in them, rear window louvers and upper bubble windows tinted black... more to come!

eed68a04.jpg

c16415ec.jpg

18bd700f.jpg

Edited by Shelbytona

Yeah Donny's a great guy and super talented artist, (Canadian too!)

I've already showed him another Vantasy thread on here- which he and his wife Oriana dug

I'm happy these releases of vintage kits are so popular- hopefully more will be produced!

Edited by Adamo

it's gonna look good cleared!!

i got the bubble windows painted and rear window louvers. I also got the chassis painted black and the motor painted chevy blue. I'm not gonna go crazy with chassis details, since it's gonna be in a display case anyway and the main focus will be the body.. i should have this one completed this weekend! It's kinda nice doing a quick build once in a while.. i will get another one and go even more crazy... i'd like to do one with a removable roof and full interior.

3e064ad2.jpg

Edited by Shelbytona

haha thanks!

I got the motor done and most of the chassis parts complete.. that is as detailed as the motor will get since all you see is the bottom. The wheels are assembled and i painted the good year lettering.

41b0ade3.jpg

1d696532.jpg

I gave the chassis a rough texture to simulate undercoating and lightly weathered it.

c7a1ae32.jpg

Thanks for the compliment! I'm done for the night on this model... i'll work on it again tomorrow, this might be a three day build! I guess i never looked close in the kit, it does come with side marker lights, haha. too bad they weren't recessed tho.

Here's what i got done for tonight. BMF, blackwashed, bubble windows installed (with the shrunken head inside) rear louvers on and tail lights and marker lights put on.

e9526ab4.jpg

dbb9cd8a.jpg

24d2c111.jpg

6e915adb.jpg

Thanks guys! yeah i put the oil filler tube on once the motor was glued to the chassis. I got a big part of it done today...this is a record build for me!

I just have the mirrors, side pipes and driving lights to put on and it's done! oh and cleaning all my finder prints off it! haha

3d115d44.jpg

a03f32a0.jpg

b3d22550.jpg5b2f625f.jpg

Edited by Shelbytona