Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is there a site that decodes paint numbers ?

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knows a site that decodes vehicle paint numbers ? My reason for asking is well I like to paint my builds factory colors but sometimes the color I pick isn't a solid color and when I use paintref site it gives many options on paint used on certain years. So if some of you know the site paintref it gives a paint brand such as Dupont and a number and that number has the right mixtures of paint to make a certain paint color. Well I hope someone has some ideas.

Hi Gary thanks for the reply but that isn't what I'm looking for. I want to know what colors make a certain color ?

Gary, you might take a look at http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/ That site has paint chip charts going all the way back into the early 1930's for every make of US car and a great many imports as well. In addition, there's a little clue on paint charts to tell you if the color is metallic--look for the simple word "poly", meaning polychromatic, which is how automakers once described their metallic colors.

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

I think I know what you're looking for George. You're looking for "mixing" charts kind of like in your local paint or hardware store where they custom mix your colors for you by starting with a base color & then adding measured amounts of condensed color to match a chip. I can't tell you where to find something like that for automotive paint but I just wanted to help clarify what you were looking for. :) Steve