Model Cars Magazine Forum

Decal Films

LVZ2881

I am building an original issue 91 pennzoil pontiac, and my decals are grenading on me...

bought some testors decal film in the spray can, and some microscale decal film that brushed on...

does anyone have a preference over the other, or does one work better??

you might also want to spray a couple of light coats <LIGHT COATS> of clear laquer on the sheet and let it dry before you put them in water. I've had to do that with Slixx flourescent decals.......worked fine....basically, the clear coat holds the decal togther. That's what the guys who print on ALPS printers do....

yep ditto on the brush on stuff, works great and protects the decal even when its applied. one thing though, you pretty much have to cut out the decal before soaking it, or at least cut around it with your xacto, which you probably do anyhow. it does build up some depth that has to be cut through.

well, i have now tried both the microscale and testors films....

i coated my original decals with the microscale, and atleast 50% still crumbled...

got a new set of monogram decals from mikes decals, coated with testors, and it is working virtually flawless...

not sure if the difference is the testors, or starting with better kit decals...

i'll post up my results when im finished...

James, I'm really surprised you had that problem. The Mongram kit decals I used for the Michael Waltrip Pennzoil car were probably the best kit decals I ever used (even with the more-then nessicary carrier film around each decal). Not a single flaw on my sheet.

I personally refuse to buy decals that are clearcoated. It's just an unnessicary step that makes them much harder to work with.