Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reference?

Tarkmucker

The exact reference images you need are probably out there (Google or Bing), but might take you hours or searching. Here's what I found in only a few minutes.

This is a '98 Taurus, ex-Penske. Not too clear, but the dry-sump pump can be seen low on the RH side of the engine.

60891_Engine_Web.jpg

Here are shots from 2000, on the Cosworth engine dyno in California. Similar dry-sump setup, but not entirely plumbed as it would be in the car. There's what appears to be a scavenge-manifold kinda dangling from 3 lines running into the dry-sump pump.

engine.jpgskipdyno.jpg

Here's a general schematic of the typical NASCAR dry-sump oiling system ca. late 1980s. Later systems would be similar (though this schematic is not entirely accurate). Green lines are scavenge lines from the bottom of the sump to the scavenge side of the pump. From there, oil runs out the blue line to the top of the tank. From the bottom of the tank, a line runs back to the inlet side of the pressure side of the pump. From the pressure side of the pump, oil runs out the red line to the filter, cooler, and into the engine oil galleries. After doing its job, it's again scavenged out of the sump. NOTE: This diagram shows a separate external pressure line running to the engine top-end. Installations in different cars may vary.

DrySumpOilSystem-vi.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

most of the cars have separate scavenge lines for the upper and lower parts of the engine so that horsepower robbing oil draining onto the crankshaft is avoided, and if anything breaks in the top end it can't get into the lower end. Also there is a small line from the oil galley from the camshaft that is tapped into at the front of the engine a small -4 (1/4") line runs to each valve cover where it connects to a tube welded inside and runs the length of the cover with a small hole drilled at each valve spring so cooling oil is sprayed directly onto the valve springs to help them live.

Awesome! Thank you guys. The explanations help so much more. I came up with the same pictures that you posted ace-garageguy but the schematic is the one that helps the most. I didn't see that one anywhere. Hopefully now I can get moving on my project again. I'm putting a ford nascar engine in salt flat 53 studebaker. Thanks again guys.

-Mark