Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finding Suitable tires for the 66 GTO

I just bought another Revell 66 GTO yesterday, which as you may or may not know, was the 4th kit I ever built back in 1999. This is only the second copy I have so I want it to look good.

The kit I got had only three tires (not a good day for tires for me!) and they are just not "right" looking with nothing at all on the sidewalls, thanks to Goodyear, I guess. Where would I be able to suitable tires for it? I don't seem to have any suitable Muscle Car tires in my tire stash!

I plan to paint it Testors Metallic teal, as one year at the Adirondack Nationals in Lake George a freindly couple stayed at the motel we stay, and they had a metallic teal 66 GTO and I've always remembered it.

I'm not averse to resin tires either...

Billy, you may want to try Replica's and Miniatures Co. of Maryland. Norm has great resin redlines that come in 14 and 15 inch sizes.

Modelhaus also has tires........but he has so many it may be best to email him and ask which ones (redline or otherwise) would be best for that type of car.

Here's a link to John Sharisky's Fotki page which shows some of the tires he has.......

http://public.fotki.com/jsharisky/modelhaus_resin_items/

Hope this helps!

I really hate that you have to go and hunt down tires for most of these kits. Especially the Revells, every revell I have came with a set of space-savers! WTF? They love the fact that you have to buy 3 or 4 kits just to produce a decent looking 1/25th car

I hear ya!.............That's been a main gripe of mine for years when it comes to certain cars. The latest example from Revell is the new Corvette Z06 kit. While it's a very nice kit detail and body shape wise.....they cheaped out and used the tires out of the regular C6 kit. Ya have to buy the Viper kit if you want the correct tires to make the model accurate, not to mention modifying the wheels to suit! :x

The tires (especially the rears) on the Z06 are much wider and I think really make the car! IMO I think wheels and tires make or break a kit........that along with ride height or how it sits when completed.

• 2 weeks later...