Model Cars Magazine Forum

A little info help for '72 Monte Carlo

BMWM3

I am building a '72 Monte Carlo stock car kit from AMT. I have been searching all over trying to find good engine bay and other pictures. Anyone out there have good pictures or can point me in the right direction? Any help would be great! I have found some of the Bobby Allison stuff but nothing really good detail wise. By the way, this kit is pure junk!! But I am going to turn it into a WIP post on here for my first one to share the work. More on that later. By the way, the wheels for this dont even fit the rims!!! Too small!!!

Thank in advance for any help!

http://www.russoands...onte-Carlo/6093

Try this...Buck Baker's restored 1970 Monte Carlo race car. There's a video, even...but although waving the cursor over the photos it says "Engine Bay Photos" it looks like they took them down. Sorry there's not more, but the car was too sweet not to share. Plus, there may be more pictures out there if you look deeper than I had time for.

5265-large.jpg

Thanks! I really like the color on this car. I was trying to decide what color to use and I think you just helped me decide!

I have one of those kits to do some day. As far as detail, I am going to use the chassis and basic engine from an AMT Monte Carlo. Then scratch build the interior. Hope that helps you.

Im going to do some of the same, alot of scratch building. If yours is like mine check the fit for everything as you go. Im sure you do this anyways, but I found the engine is too tall, basic stuff that if a kid was to build it things would be difficult. Thats what gets me, I like to think a kid could build a kit and have no major issues that would prevent them from completing it. Ive started taking pics and will start a WIP thread soon. Maybe you can follow and use ideas and share ideas as I go.

I havent decided which car I am going to base this on. But given that I really like the color on the car above I might just go with that color since I like it so much and use the decals that came with the kit and just have fun with it, I would like to base it on an actual car besides Bobby's car if I can find enough photos to give me the kind of detail I would liek to have if I went that route. I have been working on correcting body issues and building the engine and will try and get the WIP post going early next week.

Cool, will definitely follow along. Which car are you building? I am going to do Allison's #27 Goergia Oil. For the tires and wheels, going to use modern AMT tires and Plastic Performance Product wheels. Keep us posted.

By the way, Im glad you said the wheels you are going to use, I have been looking for a site that has the right ones and had not found the right ones until I checked out the ones you referenced!