Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fender Flares

I was thinking about making some fender flares for a couple of my builds, but I don't know where to start. The look I'm going for is a old school Scca look for either my 69' Nova or my 70 Camaro. Low, modern wheels , upgraded suspension...ect.

Can anyone offer some advise on making them? Anything will be greatly appreciated :)

Edited by vizio93

Billy, here's how I do them...

This stuff is great for stuff that requires more thickness than styrene sheets can provide...

http://www.signfoam.com/product.php?mode=sf3

I sent for a free sample kit from the manufacturer, still can't find any locally yet. The kit consists of three 8" x 8" x.750" boards in each of the three densities. You can request a sample kit online, came in a few days!

building a flare...first, a 2" holesaw used to get started...I used the most dense (18):

IMG_6719.jpg

rough shaping to fit body curvature...

IMG_6722.jpg

IMG_6721.jpg

IMG_6720.jpg

I left this thing big for as long as possible, to make it easier to handle!

IMG_6724.jpg

razor saw cuts it like butter!

IMG_6725.jpg

IMG_6723.jpg

I used a coping saw to cut out the inner portion...

IMG_6728.jpg

kinda fragile at this point & harder to shape, but not terribly so...

IMG_6730.jpg

IMG_6727.jpg

I think it's still a bit too big looking, but it's close. Hot primer has no affect on this stuff...multiple coats with sanding in between will be required to seal the open "cells" for a smooth surface.

All in all, this stuff opens up new possibilities. Very easy to cut, shape, carve, whatever you need! Now to find a local supplier that carries thinner sheets & will sell scraps!

Couple Questions:

So this is like a foam (like foam in boxes or ???).

Does it dry hard ?

Is it pretty easy to sand?

Does it bond to plastic well like do you have to glue it or does it stick to it ?

It definitely sounds like a good idea, I might try it if it doesn't seem too hard to do. Thanks Jeff :D

All in all, this stuff opens up new possibilities. Very easy to cut, shape, carve, whatever you need! Now to find a local supplier that carries thinner sheets & will sell scraps!

no joke, i just ordered my sample and it is coming from MO, almost 400 miles from me in MI

those flares looks great by the way

nice job

I ordered a sample too. I think it's coming from Tampa - only 100 miles. When do you think company will catch on what we're doing with the stuff and sending out samples all over the place?

shouldnt be log because i actually put in the memo line what i want it for and where i got the idea from

i mean, if they are going to spend money to send me a free sample its only fair they know what i am doing with it

whats the best way to seal this foam? just curious. other wise i have to open the lab back up and do experimentswink.gif

Prime, prime, prime! Keep building & sanding it until all of the pores are filled. Something like "Mr. Surfacer" would probably work well too, I'll have to try it...Hot primer has NO effect on this stuff though...

ordered my stuff Thursday night, had it bright Saturday morning. Got 3 pieces. For you all that are holding out and worrying about weather or not you should get some. Have guts and just get some as you will not be let down. I took the dive the first time I heard seen this thread and didn't even give it 2nd thought at all. This had many uses to it B)

Prime, prime, prime! Keep building & sanding it until all of the pores are filled. Something like "Mr. Surfacer" would probably work well too, I'll have to try it...Hot primer has NO effect on this stuff though...

ok, sweet, thank you. i was a little worried on how rough and course this stuff is though.

..............For you all that are holding out and worrying about weather or not you should get some. Have guts and just get some as you will not be let down. I took the dive the first time I heard seen this thread and didn't even give it 2nd thought at all. This had many uses to it wink.gif

yep, you can say that again...... lol.

Excellent tip!

I read about this foam on another hobby site. They were looking for a material to use for making brick walls. It didn't turn out to be the ideal product for brick walls, but looks to be just the ticket for fender flares and who knows what else.

Luckily, there's a distributor a mile or two from where I work, I'll be able to stop and and see it first hand.

Did you try a skim coat of putty over the foam to seal the holes?

Thanks for sharing :)

Edited by Alyn

I ordered my sample last week and got it today. The stuff looks easy to work with and you can glue it with urethane glue ( Gorilla glue )but here's the rub. This stuff is EXPENSIVE !!!!!! :P The supplier in my area only sell's this in 4 X 8 sheets and will not cut to order or sell scraps. The cost for a sheet of this will run you $ 637.10 :lol: for the RPU 3000 - 18. To buy one sheet by yourself is very cost prohibitive. This is a product that unless you've got deep pockets, this is something that a club could go in on. This sample set should and will last a long while and won't be wasted. I phone the CSR in California and asked him about the type of glue to use. He said that regular old Gorilla Glue, Urethane two part glue, and will work well with Epoxy Glue also.

Edited by kitbash1