Model Cars Magazine Forum

Coreldraw Users - Waterslide Decals

Hey all Ive been reading the debate of this software verses that software for making your own waterslide decals in the past couple days which made me very curious so I started doing some researching in regards to making my own decals. I found these step by step instructions online that gives you basically every step you need to know and do in regards to making your own waterslide decals using the software coreldraw. Hope this will help you guys out if you werent already aware of this info. Enjoy.

http://www.tangopapadecals.com/Make%20your%20own%20decals%20101.pdf

Corel Draw is an excellent program for graphics. It's the one i use.. i've been a Corel addict for 20+ years.

The other alternative is Adobe Illustrator, which has an even larger fanbase then Corel Draw.

I really think it's a matter of preference on which one you use.

finally, there is a free program called Inkscape that i've played around with that has some merit for creating nice graphics as well.

Just my $.02

Corel Draw is an excellent program for graphics. It's the one i use.. i've been a Corel addict for 20+ years.

The other alternative is Adobe Illustrator, which has an even larger fanbase then Corel Draw.

I really think it's a matter of preference on which one you use.

finally, there is a free program called Inkscape that i've played around with that has some merit for creating nice graphics as well.

Just my $.02

Yes, I use InkScape sometimes also. I like it for making decals for my model railroad. I drew one DM&E logo as an SVG and then resize it accordingly for printing on signs, cabs, pickup doors, etc. Also for making contingency stickers and things for model cars, again resizing to whatever looks good.

• 4 weeks later...

So you CAN use an inkjet printer to make decals? Why spend all that money on high dollar printers when a $50 HP will do?

Oh my gosh you have no idea what can of worms you just opened!!! :lol:

Seriously though, yes you can make very nice decals with inkjet decal paper. A normal injet printer does not do white though, and that can make doing some colors (and white) tricky. Alps printers use a different kind of ink and they do have a white cartridge, but they too have their quirks to work through and cost quite a bit more. Screen printing makes the best decals, like the ones you get in kits or from Microscale, but to be equipped to screen print is a whole other thing. I use an older small HP inkjet photo printer and for the most part get results acceptable to me, but there are definitely limits to what it can do.

So you CAN use an inkjet printer to make decals? Why spend all that money on high dollar printers when a $50 HP will do?

Where did you hear otherwise???????????????

What you really mean to say is, You can use and InkJet Printer to make InkJet Decals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CadillacPat

Oh my gosh you have no idea what can of worms you just opened!!! :lol:

Seriously though, yes you can make very nice decals with inkjet decal paper. A normal injet printer does not do white though, and that can make doing some colors (and white) tricky. Alps printers use a different kind of ink and they do have a white cartridge, but they too have their quirks to work through and cost quite a bit more. Screen printing makes the best decals, like the ones you get in kits or from Microscale, but to be equipped to screen print is a whole other thing. I use an older small HP inkjet photo printer and for the most part get results acceptable to me, but there are definitely limits to what it can do.

To put it simply, I use each for their individual strengths. I use the ALPS for white, metallic gold and silver. I prefer Tango Papa decal film for that purpose. I make color decals for use on lighter colored finishes with my inkjet printer and Papillio decal paper. I use the latest version of CorelDraw Home and Student, which conveniently allows me to save drawings all the way down to version 7. V. 7 is what I use on my dedicated ALPS printing computer. Just my 2 cents...

David

• 3 weeks later...