Model Cars Magazine Forum

California Charger WIP (update) 1-11-12

I had some of you interested in how I made the wire wheels for the Charger so I figured I would post some pics of the jig I made so I could lace them up, the spidles and rims were turned on the lathe, then I redneck rigged my lathe to drill all the holes in each part, then I had to figure out a way to hold the pieces in the correct way so I made this jig to center the spindles in the rim, then cut each wire, (which is nickle plated bead wire) and installed them one at a time trying not to get confused as I went along, pretty happy with them for my first attempt.

http://public.fotki.com/vitagedragfan/redneck-machining/

I have been working on the front axle, I have allways wanted to make something with brass, so thats what I tried to do, pretty happy with the axle still have to make the bat wings and get them on it, the problem I'm running into is that I want to lean the axle back like it should be, when you do that and turn the wheels the axle tilts quite a bit, I have to figure out a way for it to have movement independantly of the chassis and hold the weight of the car too, just havent figured it out yet, but here are some pics of the axle.

http://public.fotki....harger-update-/

Edited by vintagedragfan

Wow! :blink: That is very impressive. I am with Brad on this... I need to get myself a miniature lathe and minature mill. Great work on these. They look very nice.

thank you Chris, I dont have a mill yet, that would make things easier for sure, wont have to redneck rig my lathe to do it any more! lol

Thanks for posting images of your machining setup. I'm interested in getting a lathe, but I would like to have a better understanding of how it works before doing so. Your work is very impressive.

I appreciate it Rick

I'm not sure about the box wrench comment. Can you explain?

Thanks,

Mike

well iBorg, a gasser wheel has 12 spokes, instead of doing all the figuring and dividing a circle into twelves, I let someone else do all the figuring, grabbed a 12 point wrench out of the tool box, traced it out on paper and connected the dots, vwalla, a circle divided into twelvths in about as long as it took to do it, thanks for the interest

nice job on the front wheels. i like your setup on your lathe. the front axle is turning out very nice also. keep up the good work!

thanks Dave! truly a comliment coming from one of my scratch building heros!! would love to just sit in the corner of your shop and watch and learn!! thanks for looking