Model Cars Magazine Forum

Load binders & hooks

Are you looking for the ratchet or the indirect style? I might be able to whip up some CAD models & put them on Shapeways within a week or so.

If you mean by indirect a pair of arms with hooks at each end that close and snap together, then yes that it what I am looking for.

Alright....

loadbinder.jpg

I think you would do well with these, KFS' photo etch binders are the only ones I know of and there doesn't seem to be anybody stocking KFS in the US anymore.

The only issue would be can you make them actually work or would they be completely static?

That is a really nice feature of the KFS binders, you can really snug down your load pulling the slack out of your chains / ropes. If static people would have to find a way t pull things tight and secure it while attaching the binders.

Edited by Aaronw

Is that KFS in England? I seem to remember that maybe I saw that in a thread and not a website and the fellow said he got them in England.

As far as making some I'd make some in the closed position and attach them like that and I'd make some in the open position to hang on a headache rack. I think your sduspiscions of plastic not being strong enough for even a small tug are well founded.

Yes, KFS in England

http://www.kitformservices.com/photoetch.html

PE54 Chain Stretchers, about 3/4 of the way down the page.

I'm honestly not sure how strong the plastic is. (Or the chain for that matter) I'm sure they'd take some light tension on them.

Yeah, was what I was wondering. It wouldn't have to take much, just enough to pull the slack out of the chain. I'm thinking maybe you could design then to take a small piece of wire at the hinge, but even then I'm not sure if the plastic could take that or not, I understand it is fairly brittle.

OK,

Even though they meet Shapeways minimum thickness standards, I've run into it before where the manual review fails..... this is one case where they feel it won't print successfully.

I can:

Remove them and make the hook separate.

add a solid in the center of the link, so it looks like a figure 8 connector.

Change the hook style to one with a removable pin thru it.

To those that ordered: if you contact them after I fix it to reorder you can sometimes get them to waive the shipping if you ordered other items (as when you reorder it's considered a new order)

Matt

Those look nice Matt, I may have to pick up a set. The problem I have run into with frosted ultra detail parts from Shapways is that they are pretty weak and very brittle. It can make great parts as long as you are careful with them.

Those look nice Matt, I may have to pick up a set. The problem I have run into with frosted ultra detail parts from Shapways is that they are pretty weak and very brittle. It can make great parts as long as you are careful with them.

It's a double edged sword. you wind up with the brittle, if you want the detail.

I wonder if I can make it closed & try simplifying it for use with the other plastics.

Here's a set with the links missing.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/upload-and-buy/3074703

Edited by mdlbldrmatt135

Well I got refunded, shapeways refused to print it.

My Apologies. They wouldn't pass the manual review. I'm working on several other versions.

I have one available that has the links between the hook and connecting arms removed.

Working on another that has a figure 8 connector instead of the link.