Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Torino Talladega Resto-Mod

Custom Mike

Here's Revell's 1969 Torino Talladega kit, built as part of another site's Forum Project, a body swap. Two members are paired up, and they select a kit and paint the body, then send it to their partner. I was paired up with Hemi, and he painted this baby up with a beautiful three-tone color scheme, threw in some killer Aoshima rims, and quite a few more goodies just because that's the kind of guy he is. So I decided I had to go all out on this. It's got a complete braking system, from master cylinder all the way to each rim, a fuel line from the gas tank to the carburetor, battery cables run to the starter and grounded to the frame, spark plug wiring, a turned aluminum distributor and coil, photo-etched wire looms, door locks, door lock knobs on each door, flocking, and an interior painted in the same colors as the body. Throw in my standard for disc brake rotors (Pegasus Hobbies, love those things!), aluminum foil for the back window and drip-rail molding, and some Detail Master Krome Foil (Thanks again Shiryl!) for the windshield, tail light panel and trunk trim and we've got one sweet ride! Thanks to everyone who followed this one here, I really appreciate the comments! Enjoy the pics, and go check out Hemi's half of the project by clicking on the link below, he got a three-tone 1970 Torino Cobra that he did an incredible job on, and for more pics of this one, follow the second link to my Fotki site!

Hemi's 1970 Torino Cobra

My 1969 Torino Talladega

69Talladega015-vi.jpg

69Talladega016-vi.jpg

69Talladega019-vi.jpg

69Talladega020-vi.jpg

69Talladega023-vi.jpg

69Talladega026-vi.jpg

Edited by Mike S.

Brian, I bought two pieces of stair Anti-Skid tape from Lowe's, it came with a reflective yellow line at one edge. I trimmed it up so the two yellow lines were far enough apart to simulate the lines on a road. Then I grabbed a piece of plywood and some 1"x2"s and started building. I applied the tape carefully (Those things are STICKY!!!), and added the 1"x2's to the bottom to stiffen the whole thing. Then I added some Model Railroad ballast at the edges of the road to simulate the shoulder, and called it good. I'm too old to be laying in the dirt to get shots like this!

Edited by Mike S.

Thanks Marc, this one and my '66 Fairlane are my two favorite non-custom builds. It's kind of strange, an AMC/Mopar nut who likes two Fords. I may be slipping in my old age! B)

Edited by Mike S.

That is one sweet Torino. How did you ever get that Detail Master foil to look decent? I have a package of it, and it is junk, way too thick, and far too sticky, and the stuff leaves adhesive behind.

Lee, you had to have gotten a bad sheet of the Detail Master Krome Foil, I've always found it to be thinner than just about everything else available, to the point where if I'm not careful, I tear it to pieces. And I've never had an issue with the glue either, you sure it's not a sheet of BMF masquerading as Detail Master? :D

No, it is detail Master, in fact, I have had nothing but suceess with BMF. I am thinking about contacting DM and see if there guarentee is good. I sure am NOT satisfied with the sheets I have.

Definitely a case of "To each his own", because I can't stand BMF, it's too thick compared to Detail Master's foil, and it never sticks consistently. Contact Shiryl, I'm sure she'll make it good for ya!

Maybe they changed it. The sheets I have are the thickest foil I've seen, nearly as thick as cheap aluminum foil. Do you have a email address for them? I am currently using BMF, and it works great. Strange that we each have had bad luck with the other's prefered foil, lol.