Model Cars Magazine Forum

painting resin

m408

O.K. Guys, me again with another basic question.

I'm looking at buying some of the resin cast engine assemblies. I'm used to the "put together" systems where you can glue the plastic block together, paint it, paint manifolds and attach etc. It seems that all of the resin cast engines that are available are mainly complete with heads, manifolds,carbs, air filters and/or blowers already there. How the heck do I detail paint them? Primer everything then get out my single strand brush? Paint overall then mask? Really like the resin casts but have no idea how to make them acceptable.

I don't attempt to make show quality builds, but still don't want them to look like junk.

When painted at the factory, 1:1 engines are painted as a closed assembly, oil pan to valve covers, so painting a model engine that way is acceptable for a factory look.

It is hard to think that a resin caster would mold the carb and air cleaner in place. Are you sure they come that way?

Contact the resin caster and find out the parts breakdown before you buy. They would be happy to talk with you.

Most resin cast engines I have seen have seperate detail parts that could be painted before assembly.

If it is all in one, paint the block color first, then get out the 00 and 000 brush and go to it. It's not as tough as it seems.

Finish with a black wash and you will be surprised at th result. :mellow:

O.K. Guys, me again with another basic question.

I'm looking at buying some of the resin cast engine assemblies. I'm used to the "put together" systems where you can glue the plastic block together, paint it, paint manifolds and attach etc. It seems that all of the resin cast engines that are available are mainly complete with heads, manifolds,carbs, air filters and/or blowers already there. How the heck do I detail paint them? Primer everything then get out my single strand brush? Paint overall then mask? Really like the resin casts but have no idea how to make them acceptable.

I don't attempt to make show quality builds, but still don't want them to look like junk.

I guess it depends on who's engine kits you're talking about. The Kitchen Table Resin engine kits are separate pieces just like a model kit. So you would paint them as you normally would and detail them as you choose. If the pieces are all cast together it definitely would make the build more difficult. Sorry I can't help more but it seems that you have the right idea. Paint what you can separately, assemble it and then finish the detail painting.

Ken

Visit My Website