Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anybody ever used MirraChrome by Alsa??

Several of us went in together on the Mirrachrome in a can now offered by Alsa. "Killer Chrome" is the name.

Totally unimpressed.

Here's a spoon test in my album. Winner? Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome over black TS Tamiya.

http://public.fotki.com/grdeyed/model_cars-1/chrome-test/

Here's Mirrachrome's "Killer Chrome" airbrushed (from their spray can it was not very good) vs. Spaz Stix. You tell me which one looks better! Spaz Stix is available online, or at hobby shops in the R/C dept. It sticks to Tamiya TS black, unlike Alclad II. You can even brush paint small repairs w/Spaz Stix (and Alclad II) with amazing results...

SpazKillAirbrushedRaw-vi.jpg

I'm going to have to try Spaz Stix. I like Alclad II, but I don't like having to use Testors black enamel for a base coat.

How does the Spaz Stix hold up to handling?

It's not ultra-durable, but it's slightly better than Alclad II. None of these finishes are very robust, unless someone comes up w/a chrome or polished spray that you can actually seal with some sort of clear. The clear that Alsa sells? It turned their own product into nothing more than silver paint :roll: :x

I'm going to have to try Spaz Stix. I like Alclad II, but I don't like having to use Testors black enamel for a base coat.

How does the Spaz Stix hold up to handling?

I like the Spaz Stix chrome because you can use it over Tamiya TS Gloss Black spray. Handlibility is a little better than Alclad, but like ANY chrome parts, plated or otherwise, I try to keep handling to a bare minimum. Even vacplated chrome will wear if handled too much.

I try to paint my chrome parts at the very end of a build if possible and install them last as well to minimize the amount of handling.