Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Chevelle "Evil Twin" 3/20/16

Dragfreak

I've been messing around with this for a little while an thought I'd post. It's the usual Revell kit with some kitbashed parts. I'm in the process of building a cage with K&S aluminum tubing right now. Here's some pictures, more to come tomorrow! Also, If anybody knows of a caster who sells a good quality cowl hood let me know, I can't stand this hood. Let me know what you think, all opinions and suggestions are welcome!

post-11129-0-11632100-1415685407_thumb.j

post-11129-0-44764900-1415685438_thumb.j

post-11129-0-30895900-1415685470_thumb.j

post-11129-0-45229100-1415685482_thumb.j

Edited by Dragfreak

I agree with Walter, great to see a correct roll cage. Looks like it will be another winner build overall, but only thing I would change is the size of those front tires. They look way too small to me now. Otherwise you're doing super clean job.

Walter, The bars are fish mouthed and will be super glued, in this post I'll include a picture of the joint, the camera makes it look much worse but it looks close for such a small and precise joint to get perfect.

Niko, I think they're a slight bit small for such a large car, when I figure out how to lower it I think it will look a little better. I might be able to find something better suited for this big of a car somewhere :)

Carl, thank you!

I have come up with a plan for this thing, Jeff Lutz has the "Evil Twin" 57's, I have a idea of the "Evil Twin" 1970 chevelles. Some might remember the street car I built recently and I think an all out drag car twin would be pretty neat. I'll include some pictures of the other car. I did some more work on the cage, it's taken a lot of trial and error to get it fit up tight in the body but its coming along nicely. Let me know what's on your mind, good or bad I want to hear! The first picture is the other car, I think painting this car to look identical would look sweet

post-11129-0-60429100-1415737436_thumb.j

post-11129-0-33670200-1415737558_thumb.j

post-11129-0-57243600-1415737583_thumb.j

post-11129-0-53384100-1415737616_thumb.j

post-11129-0-88301900-1415737643_thumb.j

post-11129-0-31999900-1415737680_thumb.j

Edited by Dragfreak

going to be a sweet build Jason. have a few of these on the back burner, I will be watching to see what you do with it.

back in the day, a friend of mine had a gold 1970 LS/6 chevelle, black vinyl top, stripes and interior. very serious car.

question, why not styrene for the cage? is brass that much easier. I like te idea of adding the weight to the build. I never done anything in brass besides door and trunk hinges.

Edited by tubbs

going to be a sweet build Jason. have a few of these on the back burner, I will be watching to see what you do with it.

back in the day, a friend of mine had a gold 1970 LS/6 chevelle, black vinyl top, stripes and interior. very serious car.

question, why not styrene for the cage? is brass that much easier. I like te idea of adding the weight to the build. I never done anything in brass besides door and trunk hinges.

Thank you Al! You have been working on a chevy? Is everything alright with you? you know those chevelle's aren't a Chrysler product! :P

Kidding aside, that's interesting your friend had that Chevelle, my dad had nearly the same car back when he was a kid in the 80's, it was also a gold 1970 SS with a black vinyl top/interior and ls6 454. He actually bought me another kit to make a replica for him. About the cage, I have built many styrene cages and I have somewhat mastered a simple 10 point. I had this material laying around and I decided to try challenging myself by using a new material. I found that it is much easier to manipulate than styrene. I was able to execute bends and angles much more precisely than I have with styrene. I plan on not painting it and leaving it as raw aluminum to represent chromoly. As far as I know it would be accurate in 1:1. let me know if I'm wrong :)

Great Cage!

B)

Thank you Ira!, I appreciate it especially coming from such a talented builder!

Thank you Al! You have been working on a chevy? Is everything alright with you? you know those chevelle's aren't a Chrysler product! :P

Kidding aside, that's interesting your friend had that Chevelle, my dad had nearly the same car back when he was a kid in the 80's, it was also a gold 1970 SS with a black vinyl top/interior and ls6 454. He actually bought me another kit to make a replica for him. About the cage, I have built many styrene cages and I have somewhat mastered a simple 10 point. I had this material laying around and I decided to try challenging myself by using a new material. I found that it is much easier to manipulate than styrene. I was able to execute bends and angles much more precisely than I have with styrene. I plan on not painting it and leaving it as raw aluminum to represent chromoly. As far as I know it would be accurate in 1:1. let me know if I'm wrong :)

Thank you Ira!, I appreciate it especially coming from such a talented builder!

well, Jason, usually roll cages are mild steel in a car like this. fancier ones (tube chassis cars) may be chrome moly tubing. all the pictures I see are of a darker tubing. your aluminum look may not be correct, but I would check with the hard core racers. I know my car's cage is mild steel painted black. if I were you, i'd leave it. it looks cool!! it will really stand out with a dark interior also.

I have some aluminum laying around, may have to give it a try.

and yes, i am fine. I am not a builder of mopar only, I do partake in the lesser brands of automobiles also. just never could figure out why mopars were the only ones to get it right.

keep going, its looking great!!

yea, that's kind of weird about the LS/6 cars. could they be one in the same? it was a wicked car, but he would never race anyone.

Hi Jason,Great start on this chevelle,Your cage looks sweet as does the stance.Why don't you build your on cowl hood?They really aren't hard at all.I build all of mine.

kfkg.jpg

Some flat sheet,and some small square styrene.

nice Stan, only I notch the side ones and stick them into the cut hole in the hood. more surface area to glue.

well, Jason, usually roll cages are mild steel in a car like this. fancier ones (tube chassis cars) may be chrome moly tubing. all the pictures I see are of a darker tubing. your aluminum look may not be correct, but I would check with the hard core racers. I know my car's cage is mild steel painted black. if I were you, i'd leave it. it looks cool!! it will really stand out with a dark interior also.

I have some aluminum laying around, may have to give it a try.

and yes, i am fine. I am not a builder of mopar only, I do partake in the lesser brands of automobiles also. just never could figure out why mopars were the only ones to get it right.

keep going, its looking great!!

yea, that's kind of weird about the LS/6 cars. could they be one in the same? it was a wicked car, but he would never race anyone.

The cage in my car is mild steel, Chromoly looks kind of gray similar to gunmetal unpainted so this wouldn't be accurate, I suppose my options are to paint it, or leave it as is and play it off as a cage painted aluminum or silver. My dad actually got the Chevelle given to him from his brother when he went in the military, shortly after when my dad went in the military, he left the car at home to sit until he got back. When he came home on leave, his dad (my grandpa) sold it. That was back in the early '90's though. I plan on taking that flat non SS hood and try my hand for the fourth time to make a cowl, the first three times were unsuccessful.....

Hi Jason,Great start on this chevelle,Your cage looks sweet as does the stance.Why don't you build your on cowl hood?They really aren't hard at all.I build all of mine.

kfkg.jpg

Some flat sheet,and some small square styrene.

That's what I'm going to try to do, I struggle with bodywork so this stuff definitely doesn't come easy

Hey Jason! This Chevelle is coming along really cool!

As far as hoods, poke your nose around this website a little. You might find something you like!

http://www.compresins.com/site/751597/page/237911

Competition resins unfortunately doesn't carry any 2" or higher cowl induction hoods

I found some tires that better suit the car, I have no idea what kit they're from. I also decided to just go for it on the hood so I started the cowl today. I have two different ideas for induction, a tunnel ram and dual dominators or a tunnel ram and enderle hat. What do you think I should do? Also I slang some paint on the motion hood that I won't be using. Nevermind me, I'll just let the pictures do the talking. Let me know what you think!

post-11129-0-80833000-1416109652_thumb.j

post-11129-0-46105900-1416110276_thumb.j

post-11129-0-74137300-1416110314_thumb.j

post-11129-0-50224900-1416110344_thumb.j

post-11129-0-01919600-1416110382_thumb.j

post-11129-0-79444000-1416110571_thumb.j

post-11129-0-97057500-1416110605_thumb.j

post-11129-0-17079500-1416110637_thumb.j

I think those tires look much better than the first ones did. Also I like the Dual Dominators better, somehow they just fit into this kind of car. I think the stance looks excellent just like this so I hope you don't lower the front end...At least much. B)

I love it. Pm me and I will help you drop the front a bit

I will message you

I would go with the dual dominators. The blower looks... a little toyish? I think the dual carbs will fit the car more. I like the wheels too.

Here's a real example of an enderle hat on a edelbrock victor ram, basically very similar to what I've got, I'm still thinking, not quite sure where I'm going to go. Thank you for your input though, you've got me thinking!

tunnelram_zps17613357.jpg

Edited by Dragfreak

I think those tires look much better than the first ones did. Also I like the Dual Dominators better, somehow they just fit into this kind of car. I think the stance looks excellent just like this so I hope you don't lower the front end...At least much. B)

I agree these tires being slightly larger in diameter fit the wheel well opening much better. I'm not sure if I really can lower it, header clearance might be an issue.