Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy Titan 90 (WIP)

Lookin' good! There is a real live one near where my girlfriend's place, I think it's an early 70's with a retrofitted wide "General" type grill. It is retired and the guy who drives it does it for fun. From what I've seen, it has custom dual exhaust and dual air snorkels, probably an 8V71 or 6V92, but it is a DD. It Has 10 hole budds all around, a polished aluminum bumper and there is a small tank on the passenger side that might be for an air starter. It is a single rear axle with a tag axle. The cab is medium grey metallic, no stripes with a french blue frame. It is well maintained and is undergoing some restauration. It's a good looking truck, I saw it coming down the road once or twice, it sure looks proud. Your's is on it's merry way getting there Brian! Cab looks good in this location.

Edited by Z06Bob

Lookin' good! There is a real live one near where my girlfriend's place, I think it's an early 70's with a retrofitted wide "General" type grill. It is retired and the guy who drives it does it for fun. From what I've seen, it has custom dual exhaust and dual air snorkels, probably an 8V71 or 6V92, but it is a DD. It Has 10 hole budds all around, a polished aluminum bumper and there is a small tank on the passenger side that might be for an air starter. It is a single rear axle with a tag axle. The cab is medium grey metallic, no stripes with a french blue frame. It is well maintained and is undergoing some restauration. It's a good looking truck, I saw it coming down the road once or twice, it sure looks proud. Your's is on it's merry way getting there Brian! Cab looks good in this location.

I would love to see pics of that.

Thanks

very nice project, this would have looked super cool with those aluminum type fenders on there....please do tell on how you created those stacks so perfectly.

Chad

I was going to use those aluminum fenders but I decided to save them for another truck. The stack is just an extra Revell Peterbilt muffler with 1/4" tubing added to it.

Thanks

That looks really cool.

Thanks Jim.

Hey Brian! You're lucky I had some pictures of that exact truck I was talking about, It's in pretty good shape considering the age. notice the grab handles right behind the cab door, these were more early 70's, later Astros and Titans had longer handles going all the way to the top of the door as on the re-issue of the AMT Titan. So here it is:

gmcastro8.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is one... Wait til you see the back of this thing...

Edited by Z06Bob

Notice fuel tanks are similar to square kit ones, and another tank here which I think is an air tank, for the starter?

Also notice the engine acessories right below the air filters, so far back under the cab. It seems like somebody had taken the engine assembly much farther back in the truck frame. I had a look under the cab, and could not see much except a huge gap right behind the radiator, then I saw what seems to be the back end of the engine. Un fortunately the owner wasn't around to talk with, so I don't know much more about it.

gmcastro9.jpg

Edited by Z06Bob

gmcastro2.jpg

Now here is the back end...

Rob,

I suspect that this is a "Wolf in Sheap's clothing". Note a few observations.

1/ Twin Air cleaners.

2/ The size of each air cleaner and the diameter of the pipe work.

3/ Each air cleaner and pipe work feeds seperatly down each side of the engine.

4/ Twin exhaust stacks.

5/ Note the rear auxillaries are level with the rear of the cab, indicating that the engine is as long as the cab.

My guess a 12V71, maybe a later retrofit.

Dave

Rob,

I suspect that this is a "Wolf in Sheap's clothing". Note a few observations.

1/ Twin Air cleaners.

2/ The size of each air cleaner and the diameter of the pipe work.

3/ Each air cleaner and pipe work feeds seperatly down each side of the engine.

4/ Twin exhaust stacks.

5/ Note the rear auxillaries are level with the rear of the cab, indicating that the engine is as long as the cab.

My guess a 12V71, maybe a later retrofit.

Dave

Dave, I was quite surprised to see this truck a couple years back. I have seen it regularly in fair weather, these pics were taken last summer. I'll push my investigation a little further next spring and try to reach the owner. I'd love to get the full story on this particular truck. I agree with you for the wolf in sheep's clothing, I saw this same truck doing a major burnout on Youtube and the engine sounded like it was revving way higher than 2000 RPM's! I tried to look it up today and couldn't find it anymore. When I find it, I'll post the link.

Ok, I don't want to take control of this forum, sorry Brian! But it does have to do with some GMC Astro action, just to get us a little more in the mood! Check this out:

Dave, this is not THE video I was talking about but it is the truck from the pictures...

Edited by Z06Bob

Notice fuel tanks are similar to square kit ones, and another tank here which I think is an air tank, for the starter?

Also notice the engine acessories right below the air filters, so far back under the cab. It seems like somebody had taken the engine assembly much farther back in the truck frame. I had a look under the cab, and could not see much except a huge gap right behind the radiator, then I saw what seems to be the back end of the engine. Un fortunately the owner wasn't around to talk with, so I don't know much more about it.

gmcastro9.jpg

The kit tanks are on in a different position than his. His makes sense. The kit ones will only go on one way.

Thanks for the pics Robert. It is a very nice looking truck.