Model Cars Magazine Forum

Killer "J"

Dr. Cranky

So I get this magazine at the newstand, Amusin' Kruizing, and I get two pages into it and run across this:

IMG_0001-vi.jpg

And so after I pick up my jaw off the floor, I ran into the garage, dug up yet another 49 Merc and went to work on this sucker. Now, I am NOT replicating this build exactly because I have the words JESTER and JOKER rattling in my head.

I want to use the red and the black, but I also want to do a different kind of diamond pattern on the roof of this sucker and then I also (I don't know why) wanted to pay tribute to Heath (thanks, Harry!) Ledger as Joker . . . so we have a combination of things triggering off some neat idea . . .

So stay tuned in . . . a new project is underway!!!

Edited by DamnCranky

It took me all day to get the hood right . . .

IMG_0003-vi.jpg

And then I smooth most of it so that I don't have too many lines . . .

IMG_0004-vi.jpg

There are some imperfections here and there, but I think this is going to add a little more character to this sucker, afterall it is yet another rat Merc!

IMG_0005-vi.jpg

Thanks, everyone. The hood took be a few hours to cut and contour . . . I used body tape to mark the pattern, and then with a #11 blade, the back of it, I just scored around the tape over and over until I was able to cut away the plastic. I put some sandpaper on a wood dowel and sanded the plastic slowly until it looked right . . .

The spider webbing was a gift from a friend who made an etched sheet and send me a couple, this was the last one I had so I had to use it on something just right.

I glued it in place under the hood using superglue and Zap kicker . . . I added it in this early so that I can paint it in place and not have to worry about messing up the paint later . . . these etched elements are very delicate . . .

I also want to borrow some stylistic cues from a mediaval evil Jester . . . .something like this, using a diamond pattern to set off a few of the panels . . .

MedievCC746%20Wicked%20Jester.jpg

or like this:

jester.jpg

Jester are really colorful and spooky, and I fear them almost as much as I fear clowns . . . which is, I think, where the idea for making the Joker a little scary comes from . . . it's all good, as I like to say.

Jester.jpg

Yeah, I can see the Spiderman thing going, but once I saw it, I had to put it into this build. That's the fun thing about building these types of rat vehicles . . . 1) you never know where you are going to go and 2) everything works as long as it is slightly over the top! :)B):D

Before I start on the paint, I found my skulls (Courtesy of Warhammer!) and decided to mock them up with a little tacky glue just to make sure it would look good. I also put a screen behind them for some contrast later . . . once everything is painted. I also added screen to the rear side windows . . .

IMG_0007-vi.jpg

IMG_0008-vi.jpg

Here's a close up . . . some of the mistakes in the body work are really highlighed this close up, but it all adds another dimension to these kinds of builds--at least it is my story and I am sticking to it! :)B):D

IMG_4-vi.jpg

There's going to be a similar motif in the back too!

As you can see, I cleaned up and got my guns ready (Iwata Micron C and Micron C-Plus), and brought out the paint to start the graphics off . . .

IMG_0001-vi.jpg

I also got out my rub on letters for some masking . . . and that's a process I've explained elsewhere . . .

IMG_9-vi.jpg

V, I think I like your presentation as much as I like your models! :D

Great photography dude, keep it up.

I'm with Jairus. Another TdF (Tour de Force) from the creator of the RatOutOfHell - from conception to execution, I almost regret it when you're done!

BTW, where did you get those skull thingies? Please don't tell me you cast them! In particular I'm looking for 1/25 shift knobs like skulls, cylinders, eight balls, dice, etc.

Here we go:

I airbrushed a few coats of flat black on the first round, and then I added a few drops of dark blue to make the black a bit more menacing . . . if that is possible. :D

IMG_0003-vi.jpg

Going slow, a few coats, the idea is not to get full coverage right away . . . and I used a hairdryer between the coats . . . .

IMG_0004-vi.jpg

Here's the "J" on each side masked and then sprayed with green for contrast . . .

IMG_10-vi.jpg

Again, I sprayed a few light coats making sure the mask did not lift . . .

After the paint dried, I cut a diamond out tape and put it over the J making sure it's all centered . . .

IMG_0011-vi.jpg

I sprayed the orignal body color lightliy over the diamond, and when I achieve full coverage, I dried the paint with the hairdryer . . .

And voila!

IMG_0013-vi.jpg