Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT/Model King '72 Chevy Blazer

youpey

As I recall, Roger, the Blazer and Jimmy grilles can be trimmed down to fit into a pickup, but I think the GMC pickup grille is a tad too small for the opening in the Blazer body. Some shimming might be required. As for the pickup hood fitting the Blazer body, that might be more difficult.

The pickup hood doesn't fit the pickup worth a spit either or mine didn't. I had to add styrene to the sides and at the bottom of the leading edge of it to get it fit right on my pickup. I have the MK Blazer and another '72 GMC pickup. So, I can see how bad off they are.

I still haven't figured out where I saw the '72 Jimmy parts at. It couldn't have been the Modelhaus because there were photos of the parts and there's no mention of Blazer parts on his site.

One thing the Blazer's have over the pickups is they have the correct inner fender wells in them. Both the Chevy and GMC pickups have the earlier '60s inner fender wells which are wrong.

edit: The GMC grille from the pickup fits the Blazer as perfect as one could expect. The hood, on the other hand, is about 2.5 mms too long and a bit too narrow. Not a problem for one with moderate skills. The hood from the GMC Jimmy is a perfect fit as expected and what I'll use. I'm not going to sweat the tail gate on mine. A properly placed spare and carrier or a decal will take care of that little problem. ;)

Edited by plowboy

• 4 weeks later...

From the research I did for my kit history article, the only Blazer issue with the 69-70 grille was this one:

I did not know that at some point the Boondocker was planned with the 69-70 grille! And in looking at the box art, it only has the grille; no bowtie on the hood.

Here is the hood for the original blazer with the bow tie molded on.

post-975-0-66507600-1416799222_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-97912700-1416799513_thumb.jpg