Model Cars Magazine Forum

I've got a resin 6-71, but I'm not really sure where I can use it. I know it was available in some American LaFrance fire apparatus and some busses but thats about it.

I've tried googling it but I mostly find info on 6-71 marine engines, great if I decide to make a tug boat but otherwise not to helpful.

What would be helpful would be

when it was introduced, commonly used, fell out of use

which trucks it would typically be found in as an option

anything else that you know of that would be helpful regarding using it in a build

Its not that hard to track down a truck and find a motor to use but it doesn't seem to be very easy to do it in reverse.

Thanks

Well Aaron,

I can't think of any plastic kits that could have used that engine, but there are some resin kits that could have used it. Such as the Emeryville IHC, the old "Cherry Picker" IHC, or the Kenworth CBE.

All of those are available from Spaulding Trading and Shipping.

You could use it in a 2070 IH, more commonly known as the Fleetstar(Grandpap had one, yup 6-71 power too). I think it was MTFACO that made it, but I'm not sure. You could also use it in a AITM Brockway 761, there was one of those 6-71 powered at the ATHS show in New Stanton.

Hello Aaron,

Its difficult for us here in Britain to go and look at a US truck. For ideas and detailing I like to keep an eye on Ebay for the semi trucks for sale in the US and the truck paper (www.truckpaper.com) These are great sources of information. Sometimes you will have to wait a while but then a real gem turns up with everything you need.

Hope this helps

Best Wishes

Dave Bates

Well it makes sense that STS has some trucks I can use since I got the 6-71 from them, I've just been waiting for AITM to finish the updated Fleetstar so thats another good place for me to use the 6-71.

I agree ebay s a great place to find pics of trucks, you need patience sometimes but there are eventually photos of almost anything you could want when it comes to vehicles.

Thanks