Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clearing Paint Fumes

PatW

After about three years in my model cabin I was getting a bit fed up with the paint fumes during and after spraying. I looked at buying a spray booth with extractor, but aren't they small and expensive. So of I went to my local DIT- Kitchen store and bought a kitchen cooker extractor unit and fitting kit. After about an hour of cutting a hole in the top of my spray booth, wiring up a plug and finding an extension lead I ended up with this...........................

2-13.jpg

1-16.jpg

As my wife doesn't want me to cut a hole in the side of the cabin, I just open the door and put the end of the pipe outside.

Switch the light on and switch the fan to it's top speed (no3) and hey presto. All of the fumes disappear very quickly! And all for a fraction of the cost of a shop bought spray booth.

Edited by PatW

That's the way to do it.

But I have to tell you, if you shorten and straighten out that duct you will double your airflow.

Can you put the range hood on the back so it is in line with the spray from your AirBrush? That will sure help also.

What about hose vent holes in the hood?

CadillacPat

Edited by CadillacPat

Hi CadillacPat, There's no fixings to put the hood on the back in the vertical and it would be difficult to vent as it would be too close to the outer wall. It's working just fine from the point of view of fan power, so there's no need to change anything just yet.

As I said before the pipe is fed out through the cabin door to vent the extractor and would be virtually straight, so seeing the pipe in the pictures is just stored between jobs

Edited by PatW