Model Cars Magazine Forum

One I haven't seen many of on here.

Guest Gramps-xrds

Guest Gramps-xrds

I just cleaned the dust off this to post. It's sorta stock lookin except for the wheels and hemi. It looks red but it's really sorta bronze. I had to leave the inner fenders out to get the hemi in.

Looks like I shoulda cleaned the air cleaners off a bit. :rolleyes::lol::lol:

DSCF0636.jpg

DSCF0637.jpg

DSCF0639.jpg

DSCF0638.jpg

DSCF0637.jpg

Nice, Gramps! The reds do go together! Good thing you left the lights on! :lol: Tha's probly how ya found it under all that dust, right? (how'd you do dat?--them headlights look like real ones all lit up! :lol: )

DSCF0638.jpg

and so that's how you stuff them huge engines under them hoods, huh? rip out the innards! :rolleyes:

Nice to see you posting again Gramps. I was thinkin, and I'll bet some the other guys might be too, about your builds. So cool how your showing us all these cool rods that you've built over the last 40(?) years. Any chance you could tell us when--roughly when, you built them? Just thought it'd be pretty cool to know what kinda models were available when, etc. I guess a further testament to yer model buildin ability would be the fact that they are still together, musta been some good glue back then too! You aint gotta, the pix are more than enuff already, but..............pretty please?? :rolleyes:

:) Welp, There ya go ######'n, The truth is out! He's rippin da guts outa em to fit them monster mills!But ain't that what a GOOD hotrodder does anyway?Just take out or move ANYTHING that gets in the way of puttin the motor in? You sure got you a GEN-U-WINE Q-ship there Bill!Unless I couldn't hear that there HEMI throbbin under the hood, I'd think it was just a nice lookin old car!But then thats the idea,ain;t it? :blink::D:P Edited by george 53

Guest Gramps-xrds

I agree Mark. The rims and reds don't really go w/ this car, but what happened was I needed the steelies I had on it for some other build, so guess what, I took them and replaced them w/ what you see. I have a trey full of the newer style rims, ( I don't like any of the new rims so I very rarely use them) but in this case I couldn't find anything else :D:P:D

######'n, I really don't remember when I did built this. It was whenever it was first released. Probably 15 yrs ago or so. Maybe longer. I bought another one later on and it still isn't finished :P:P:P I don't usually do much to the interior since the doors don't open. Mostly paint them semi gloss (usually black) and just some minor detail. I haven't opened a door or trunk in prob. 35 yrs. Back in the 60's I didn't have #11 exactos or razor saws. All I used was a pocket knife and a hat pin Curled & filed to scrape the lines out. It took forever to do them :blink:

Andy, I really like the color on yours. You're in for a treat when you foil it. They have a lot of thin chrome strips to do, espescialy around the front. :)

Guest Gramps-xrds

George you snuck in there on me, while I was postin a reply. I don't type real fast :P:D:P or do much else fast anymore, except nood off occasionally :):blink::D

I agree Mark. The rims and reds don't really go w/ this car,

I dont know what u guys are talking about. :lol: Those rims and redline tires loke great on it and i defanetaly wouldnt change a thing well exept the dust B):lol: . Love this build. One ? though how did you lower it?

Guest Gramps-xrds

Ya know SD I couldn't remember how I lowered it so I went and looked. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

All I did on the rear was make a spacer block for the top of the springs and on the front I drilled holes as close to the top as I could and inserted a metal stub axels. Seemed to work pretty good though. :P:P

Guest Gramps-xrds

Led, I think that was a 426 out of the 68 roadrunner. I bought 4 or 5 roadrunners, GTXs and super bees on sale for 5 bucks just to strip the engines out of. I did manage to build 1 super bee. :P:P:P I take that back there's 6 of them. 3-70 super bees, 2-68 roadrunners and one 69 GTX. vert. I couldn't beat the price :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Guest Gramps-xrds
:P:P:P . Sorry you can't find them that cheap any more :wacko::P:P . ( neither can I ) :wacko::wacko: Yrs ago there was a drug store that carried models for 6.99 each and when they were about to get a new shipment in, they'd mark the old ones down to 4.99 SO naturally I'd buy a few weather I needed them or not. I don't usually build anything newer than 1965 so I have a lot of 66, through 70s Olds,Chevy,Ford and mopar to steal from :blink::blink: I have no idea what their charging for models now days. The last few that I got my boy has gotten me for xmas. I think he said he paid around 30 something for the Trumpeter 60 Bonneville

:wacko: There you are you ol Rascal!Hey,I do like the way yer Plymouth came out even the wheel swap works.And that Hemi! I KNOW you had to gut the bastige just to get that monster to fit! But I love it,A Hemi in a 41 plymouth,the original Road Runner! :wacko::wacko: It sure works fer ME!!!

Guest Gramps-xrds
:P There you are you ol Rascal!Hey,I do like the way yer Plymouth came out even the wheel swap works.And that Hemi! I KNOW you had to gut the bastige just to get that monster to fit! But I love it,A Hemi in a 41 plymouth,the original Road Runner! :wacko::blink: It sure works fer ME!!!

Thanks George, It's nothing special, just a first try at a 41. When are we gonna get to see some more pix from you ? :P:P:blink:

Oh by the way I spent most of this afternoon in the garage (in sweltering heat) working on "Georges getto garage" But since you didn't get any pix of one, you'll have to take what ever I build :P:P

It's 30x20 ( 14 1/2 x 9 1/2 ) 3 door w/ a shed type tar paper roof, and 2 windows on each side. I got the walls mocked up, the doors & windows cut out and reinforced some. Got it temporarily hot glued together so I can put the corner trim on tomorrow. :wacko::wacko:

I haven't seen many that I like as much as yours .thanks this is a good kit but has always been a stumper as to how to build it. now that I see it can be done perhaps I'll give it a shot thanks for the shot in the arm .

Guest Gramps-xrds

Randy I'm glad I could be of some inspiration ol bud. Maybe one of these days I'll get the other one out and finish it too. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

;) WoW Bill, Thanks! Yeah It was just a plain ol 3 door garage.the doors opened out like a barn. with like a large z type of bracing.the entrance door was on the left side (as your lookin in from the alley)on the same wall as the windows in the very corner,about a foot from the front wall an it opened in.there were windows on each side an a workbench the whole width of the front wall, that started about 3 feet from the entrance door.the door was hinged on the left. :D:D:D

shirtoffmybackandnewtrailer-vi.jpg

Just paid $35 for the truck trailer kit today Gramps. I gotta get me another Fleetliner to make a gasser to rub Florians nose in it, but they had a classic kit (used?) of a 51 sedan for $30 which I thought about gettin, but didn't.

I knew if we kept after Gramps we'd get us some answers. How bout it Led, & Florian? Ol Gramps is revealin all his secrets.........(don't say anything! :D ) Didja catch that George? Bill didn't just drill them holes high up in the frame to lower the front end!--he had to make sure he ran the axle thru the oil pan so's that Hemi wouldn't just pop right back outa that engine compartment!

:P:P . Sorry you can't find them that cheap any more ;):lol: . ( neither can I ) :D:D Yrs ago there was a drug store that carried models for 6.99 each and when they were about to get a new shipment in, they'd mark the old ones down to 4.99 SO naturally I'd buy a few weather I needed them or not. I don't usually build anything newer than 1965 so I have a lot of 66, through 70s Olds,Chevy,Ford and mopar to steal from :blink::blink: I have no idea what their charging for models now days. The last few that I got my boy has gotten me for xmas. I think he said he paid around 30 something for the Trumpeter 60 Bonneville
I remember them days Gramps. I'd almost say them 'good old days', but I'm havin some purty good days right now. still weird tho, payin 4-5 times more for the models --but I gotta have 'em :blink::D !!

;) ######'n,your fergetin how the ol Dude is for details.I just don't think He'd take the easy way out. He probly milled a new set of spindles, an did it like for real!You just don't pussy foot around when you put a Hemi in anything!And,WHERE THE FU#@ dya get that shirt!!?? is that where ya got the idea fer the Fleetliner?you should airbrush the grille outa the one on the shirt an wear it whenya show the model!!!! :D:D:D

;) ######'n,your fergetin how the ol Dude is for details.I just don't think He'd take the easy way out. He probly milled a new set of spindles, an did it like for real!You just don't pussy foot around when you put a Hemi in anything!And,WHERE THE FU#@ dya get that shirt!!?? is that where ya got the idea fer the Fleetliner?you should airbrush the grille outa the one on the shirt an wear it whenya show the model!!!! :D:D:D
Good idea George! I've had that shirt for bout 3 years now -waaaaaaay before that Fleetliner was a tickle in me wallet :lol:

shirtoffmybackandnewtrailer-vi.jpg

Just paid $35 for the truck trailer kit today Gramps. I gotta get me another Fleetliner to make a gasser to rub Florians nose in it, but they had a classic kit (used?) of a 51 sedan for $30 which I thought about gettin, but didn't.

I knew if we kept after Gramps we'd get us some answers. How bout it Led, & Florian? Ol Gramps is revealin all his secrets.

Alright thats it, my gasser my not be flakey like i wanted it but when its out of the tub gona run it in primer till i get my paint booth. durin that time gona work out all the mechanicla bugs surly beat u at the track :P:rolleyes::(:D Just kiddin gonna find some way to paint it without a fly in it. Oh yes we all like secrets that gramps tells us about how he build. Here are 2

1 egine 2 big, no problem take out the inner fenders :D

2 to get it lower dill a hole in the spindle and run ur axel throught it,

Thanks for those tip. I am guilty of the first one thought, took my inner fenders out on my fleet.

Guest Gramps-xrds
Whoa, though they weren't taken badly, I think my comments may have been misunderstood a bit.

To wit:

I like both the rims & the redlines on this model. I just said that even when redlines were popular, (meaning on 1/1 cars), you rarely saw them on rods, & the rims aren't from the same era as redlines are. However visually i think the "ood couple" combo on the car works very well. :lol:

:wacko:

Like I said Mark, it was a have to situation and I still would rather have steelies and spun caps, but all in all it looks ok I guess. :wacko::lol::lol: