Model Cars Magazine Forum

On the workbench today...

• 7 months later...

Have been so busy at work I have not been able to get any work done. Good news is I FINALLY got the truck to sit how I like it. Now all I need is to figure out how to keep the front fenders.

1926815_10201569006978168_732360529_n.jp

Sorry for the crappy Cell pic.. Canon was dead.

I should be posting more on this as I go along.

I did also get a promotion so I am moving. In about 3 weeks I will have to pack everything up. I am once again loosing my build station and will have to convince the wife to be ok with me building in the spare bedroom.

So I have been struggling with the wheels in this kit. I dont know if the kit sat in storage too long and the rubber is like plastic or what, but I cant for the life of me to get these whiles pieced together. The actual inner rim section WILL NOT get into any of the 4 tires.

I was curious, I like the look of these and they are the correct scale but how can I go about checking if the kit supplied wheels with fit these tires?

E54AE9EE-8407-4F81-96F1-CF4218AB6919-386

Which wheels do you want to use? The kit supplied steel wheels, or the kit supplied torque thrusts? The torque thrusts will be too wide for those AMT tires.

FYI, the torque thrust wheels and tires are 2 different sizes. The smaller ones go in the front. In your photos above it looks like you have the smaller wheels on the back.

Here's a photo of an in-progress build I have using that same chassis and wheels and tires:

1972ChevyStepsideCustom-22.jpg

Also, you might need to remove the inner fender skirting. It's how most full sized truck guys get theirs to sit super low.

64Chevy4.jpg

Edited by Nate

Which wheels do you want to use? The kit supplied steel wheels, or the kit supplied torque thrusts? The torque thrusts will be too wide for those AMT tires.

FYI, the torque thrust wheels and tires are 2 different sizes. The smaller ones go in the front. In your photos above it looks like you have the smaller wheels on the back.

Also, you might need to remove the inner fender skirting. It's how most full sized truck guys get theirs to sit super low.

Thanks Nate, the wheels in the pic are the Torque from the kit, but I dont want to use them. It looks like the fronts are incorrect because the it only has the back section ( I was just checking stance)

I deff like the stock wheels better, kinda going for that look where its a family truck passed down, so a younger guy left it stock but just lowered it.

Speaking of the included steel wheels, I must have got a lemon of a kit because in all my years of modeling I have never had a set of wheels be so freaking difficult to assemble. maybe its the years and years of the box sittig in storage and rubber turned ot plastic but wow.. I got them in to test and now i dont want to remove them to paint LOL

I am happy with the stance now, just need to get her painted.

DSC_0244-X2.jpg

Edited by Project510

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jeez has it really been since April that I last posted an update? So far all I have gotten done is Paint. I have painted it twice now and still cant get it right. The roof on the passenger side fish eyes badly no matter how much I try to clean and prep it.

20141124_210701-X2.jpg

20150111_090838-XL.jpg

It looks nice other than that.

I will be putting the box stock engine in there hopefully this weekend, but I have been working so much overtime, I get maybe an hour a week to d any model stuff.

Edited by Project510

James, the bubbles appear to be from heavy final coat being applied to thick If you are using rattle cans. The paint from a rattle can takes a while to de-gas and paint likes to "wick" into cracks and crevices and that may be your bubble issues.

I do like the colors you have chosen and all the work is outstanding.

James, the bubbles appear to be from heavy final coat being applied to thick If you are using rattle cans. The paint from a rattle can takes a while to de-gas and paint likes to "wick" into cracks and crevices and that may be your bubble issues.

I do like the colors you have chosen and all the work is outstanding.

I am using cans rsxse240. Ill sand it down and give it one more try haha. Appreciate the compliments also.

• 1 month later...
  • Project510 changed the title to On the workbench today...