Model Cars Magazine Forum

On the workbench today...

Well here it is. For the front I took a match and heated up the edge of the a arm up against the frame and bent it up. The lower a arms can be bent without any heat. for the back I did it just like any custom frame so the truck would sit low. I dont have a picture of the frame finished but I just made a simple box over top of the rearend allowing the frame to drag the ground. I have it finished now so I will get some pictures of it tonight.

062-3_zps4057a73c.jpg

063-2_zps424dd57d.jpg

Edited by 502

So I guess I am ok with the ride height.. The front is a tad higher than the rear.. so I will use the hot water trick to bend it a bit.

DSC_0864%5B1%5D-XL.jpg

Also, not sure how I will approach the bed. The bed is detailed ot be wood so any pointers on that part would be cool.

DSC_0865%5B1%5D-XL.jpg

1964_chevrolet_pickup002.jpg

Edited by Project510

• 3 weeks later...

Also, not sure how I will approach the bed. The bed is detailed ot be wood so any pointers on that part would be cool.

Note that the trucks came from the factory with the wood bed painted black. It's only a hot rod / over restored thing to finish the wood and add chrome strips. I did my '65 pickup bed in black. If you want to do the wood thing, PM me your email addy and I'll send you a tutorial on wood graining that Irv Arter did a while back.

While the site was down I got a bit of work in. I mostly spent my spare time moving stuff around in the storage the make room for the Artograph booth.

Not to get off track here, but once I set it up I was able to open a gift I had received many years ago... am Iwata DA airbrush. Unfortunately as I was trying to practive with it, I may have burned out the badger compressor I was using. It is also brand new. Or well, 6 years ago it was.. but has never been used. AAfter about 5 minutes of being on it got very hot and stopped. after an hour it did turn back on, and sort of works.. but will get hot.

I switched back to my Tamiya Surface pimer in the can and realized I was getting the paint to lay nice and smooth from the can, but rough and uneven from the airbush. I do not know if it was my lack of expedrience, impropert setup of the airbrush... or the busted compressor that did me in. For this build I will stick to the spray can!

DSC_0899%5B1%5D-L.jpg

DSC_0898%5B1%5D-L.jpg

I really want to use the OEM style wheel from this kit, but I can not for the life of me get the inserts inside the tires. I am using the xtra Chrome wheels just to get an idea of what were looking at. Because I am gonna go stock, I dont think I will lower this one.

• 2 weeks later...

062-3_zps4057a73c.jpg

063-2_zps424dd57d.jpg

Im referring to the aluminum pulleys mocked up on the engine in the top pic. If its not detail master or done on a lathe its very convincing paint. Reason I ask is I have a Sherline lathe that I'm trying to learn, I have made a few pulleys that came out ok but takes me hours fooling around with the particular cutting bits, just cause you have a particular tool doesn't mean your an instant master, boy did i find out after 900.00 worth of Sherline lathe and tools, Im trying to learn being a metal smith. I need to have someone train me on my lathe.

Edited by Darren B

Im referring to the aluminum pulleys mocked up on the engine in the top pic. If its not detail master or done on a lathe its very convincing paint. Reason I ask is I have a Sherline lathe that I'm trying to learn, I have made a few pulleys that came out ok but takes me hours fooling around with the particular cutting bits, just cause you have a particular tool doesn't mean your an instant master, boy did i find out after 900.00 worth of Sherline lathe and tools, Im trying to learn being a metal smith. I need to have someone train me on my lathe.

And that's why I haven't bought one. Too big a learning curve. There was a guy in my club who got very proficient at making metal shavings, and that was as far as he got with it. If I wanted to be a machinist, I would have gone into the trade. I don't believe I'd enjoy it. I have found the limits of how far I want to go with the hobby.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Darren here is the link to his old site so you can atleast see what he offers. It will probably be just a little bit before you could order anything. He's been gone for about the past year. He said he had family issues to deal with so now he's in the process of finishing the orders he already had. He is a good guy to deal with and he has good parts. The site probably has some contact info on it.

http://jbhobbies.freewebspace.com/

Sorry for the confusion Darren, those pics were not of my Kit.. but another forum member psoting some tips. Glad you got your answer tho.

Planning my wedding and two jobs has slowed work down on my end. I was able to paint the engine. I did paint the cab and bed white it jsut needs soem wet sanding so I can mask it off for the real colors.

• Project510 changed the title to On the workbench today...