Model Cars Magazine Forum

Full Fendered '32

MikeMc

Hey Mike:

Repeat after me: Stance is everything...

Am I mistaken, or did you put a wedge in the section job? Or is that just the result of the upsweep in the bottom of the body? Either way, it looks great! The wheels and tires are nice, I hope they stay. The front wheels tucked up into the fenders really works, too. Nice bob on the rear fenders to show off the slicks. And the nicest touch, IMHO, that abbreviated tonneau cover. Is it scratch built?

Maybe an odd thing to say about a machine with such a big engine poking out of the front, but its actually real pretty!

Just like your last build, I’m sure you’ll have plenty of us following along!

Hey Mike:

Repeat after me: Stance is everything...

Am I mistaken, or did you put a wedge in the section job? Or is that just the result of the upsweep in the bottom of the body? Either way, it looks great! The wheels and tires are nice, I hope they stay. The front wheels tucked up into the fenders really works, too. Nice bob on the rear fenders to show off the slicks. And the nicest touch, IMHO, that abbreviated tonneau cover. Is it scratch built?

Maybe an odd thing to say about a machine with such a big engine poking out of the front, but its actually real pretty!

Just like your last build, I’m sure you’ll have plenty of us following along!

STANCE IS EVERYTHING...Hey I knew that ;)

No wedge just that sweep of the '32....the "tonneau" is the roadster top for this kit...This is Boyds Chopped Donk '32.......One of the worst kits stock,but I got it for $4.50 so it is now a project. I've finished the firewall and now I'm working on a lift off 1 pc grill / hood :)B)

BEFORE:

IMG_0622.jpg

That's looking pretty hot, Mike!!

To answer Bernard's question; if you used the kit that I think you used for this one, it's the old MPC Switcher body that was never proportioned right to begin with. The side of the stock body in the kit has an over-exaggerated wedge shape to it. Compare the shape of the door on the model above to the picture of the 1:1 below to see how much it's wedge shaped.

nat092.jpg

Keep up the GREAT work!!

amts3254.jpg

this one!!

Yum yum...

I guess the "roadster top" is a conversion piece that comes with kit so you can make a roadster? Well, like everything else, judging from the box illustration, they got it wrong - it makes a cool "tonneau" kind of cover. Really works with your section job. Also, one piece grill/hood - very cool. I guess the wheels came with the kit - after what you did to the body and, presumably, the tires, they look great. The original body/box illustration makes anything/everything look horrible! You're really gonna take this one a long way...

Edited by gbk1

Yum yum...

I guess the "roadster top" is a conversion piece that comes with kit so you can make a roadster? Well, like everything else, judging from the box illustration, they got it wrong - it makes a cool "tonneau" kind of cover. Really works with your section job. Also, one piece grill/hood - very cool. I guess the wheels came with the kit - after what you did to the body and, presumably, the tires, they look great. The original body/box illustration makes anything/everything look horrible! You're really gonna take this one a long way...

My thought was its only $4.50 might as well make it into a car........and then I found some extra parts in it! So I may find another and use the chopped top, section it like this one, and channel it.....what a start for a rat project!!!

UPDATE: 1 pc hood is a no go too much warpage :);) ....Oh well I do have a spare '31 shell......... :P

Ahh, when I first looked at this car it reminded me of something, then earlier I remembered that it was a hotwheels car, but I couldn't remember what it was called. I didn't feel like digging out all my hotwheels so after an hour of searching on the internet I finally found it. So here's what your project reminds me of. lol

655a.jpg

amts3254.jpg

this one!!

Yeah...that's one of the old MPC '32 Switchers, repackaged yet again. The other one can be built as a 2 door sedan or a Pheaton. They come with several different build options. It's a pretty crude kit, but it's also makes a pretty good foundation for what you're doing.

Keep up the good work!! I'm sure that you'll turn this sow's ear into a pretty cool rod!!

Hey Mike!,

I've been watchin' this from the start. I really like it, but thought it was time to weigh in my opinions on it.

1. Although the section appears to be wedged, I think that is due to the slight wedge to the MPC mold . they didn't get the sweep of the bottom edge of the body right. But the slight wedge appearance is fine for this car.

2. I really liked the original wheels on it. they worked and looked just right. The replacements look good as well, and they are, like the originals, rather unusual. I can't place the source for either set, in spite of my huge collection of kits.

3. The original stance was excellent. It has been changed. The axle has been set back to accomodate the grille shell hanging down between the rails. The front wheels are now set back in the fenders and look wrong. The axle should be in line with the grille shell as shown in the picture above of the red roadster. While I kinda like the way the grille is now, that doesn't work unless you have IFS, and that doesn't seem right for this car. I suggest sectioning the grille shell and moving the axle back forward to where it was.

4. Do you intend to add a full tonneau over the right side and around the cockpit?

Richard

Hey Mike!,

I've been watchin' this from the start. I really like it, but thought it was time to weigh in my opinions on it.

1. Although the section appears to be wedged, I think that is due to the slight wedge to the MPC mold . they didn't get the sweep of the bottom edge of the body right. But the slight wedge appearance is fine for this car.

2. I really liked the original wheels on it. they worked and looked just right. The replacements look good as well, and they are, like the originals, rather unusual. I can't place the source for either set, in spite of my huge collection of kits.

3. The original stance was excellent. It has been changed. The axle has been set back to accomodate the grille shell hanging down between the rails. The front wheels are now set back in the fenders and look wrong. The axle should be in line with the grille shell as shown in the picture above of the red roadster. While I kinda like the way the grille is now, that doesn't work unless you have IFS, and that doesn't seem right for this car. I suggest sectioning the grille shell and moving the axle back forward to where it was.

4. Do you intend to add a full tonneau over the right side and around the cockpit?

Richard

1 you are 100% correct about the wedge

2 so did I :D they were from the AMT '57 vette...repainted) The new are from Revells thunderbolt..(washed and dulled)

3 Right and Wrong :D rear axle was moved down and back the front is exactly the same...I did move the spindles down a bit as the headers were rubbing on the ground This pic shows the front radius rods...same place

IMG_0621.jpg

4 No...this is a "Weekend Warrior" bracket car

thanks for the input!

Hrrrrrmmmm...

Look at these 2 pics to see what I am talking about...Note how close the front edge of the front tire is to the front edge of the front fender in one pic with the old wheels, then compare in the pic with the new wheels.

Richard

:blink::blink::blink: I see ........not sure what happened.. But most of it is angles....not movement and some funky rotors(now fixed)

Wait A Bit and the magic will be back!!!!! ;););)

Edited by MikeMc