Model Cars Magazine Forum

Industrial Photo-Op Base

Dr. Cranky

I don't know who first made it but I get it from Micro Mark Inc., but you can also find it cheaper if you shop around. It's a great material to mock up a building first . . . Ken Hamilton is currently building a diorama called The Arcade and he's using it too . . .

See how Ken is using it.

PB280008-vi.jpg

In order to keep everything square and in place, I decided to use magnets to make assembly easier when I am using the photo-ob base, and then for easy break down too . . .

I added 4 1" inch metal plates (you can get these at Fantasy Gaming stores or on line) to the back of the panel . . .

IMG_4401-vi.jpg

The magnets will be inserted into the foam of the Gatorboard and everything should line up . . .

IMG_4402-vi.jpg

Like this:

IMG_4410-vi.jpg

Once I square up exactly where each post will go, I will glue down an individual metal plate to the base, which will blend in with the rest of the concrete and dirt of the surface, plus it ill make the whole surface a bit more interesting . . .

Since I was at it, I also added some more detail to each post . . .

IMG_4408-vi.jpg

IMG_4409-vi.jpg

A little variety doesn't hurt . . ..

This is what I was explaining earlier about being able to remove bits and pieces just to get different shots and angles, plus it's a blast to play will all this stuff . . . you can remove one or several legs to get the shot you want and still include all the other elements . . .

IMG_4415-vi.jpg

Oh and I added the final detail to the doors, the bolts that lock them down on the concrete . . . I still have to make the iron rods . . .

IMG_4404-vi.jpg

Stay tuned in for more progress . . .

Nick, those are watch parts. A few years ago I bought about 10 pounds of watch parts, and over the years they have saved my sanity time again. Or wait, maybe they've kept me insane all these years! Well, either way, get your hands on some watch parts and you'll put them to use too! ;)

Thanks, Jim, I am certainly having a blast with this one . . . it's fun when it all comes together, and it's also the Doctor's OCD kicking in! ;)

So I marked down where the steel plating for the magnets would go, and then used Glossy Accents to glue them down. It's an epoxy glue used by crafters as a glue. It dries shiny, so it can be used for water puddles too!

Since they are thicker metal than I am used to, I put these suckers in a mixture of Clorox, Vinnegar, and salt, and overnight it discolored the metal and rusted it a little bit, just for that extra added weathering . . .

All the pieces are in place and glued down well . . . .

IMG_4420-vi.jpg

This is how it's going to go . . . and I can move the rafters and columns around a little bit . . .

IMG_4421-vi.jpg?1291582050

IMG_4422-vi.jpg

They also give the appearance that at one time they were part of individual bays of some sort . . . hey, or at least that's the story being told in my head!

IMG_4423-vi.jpg?1291582123

Stay tuned in for more . . .

Thanks everyone . . . and like with the models themselves, I am not one of those builders who is a stickler for architectural and structural accuracies . . . once I get going on a project I get possessed.

Sometimes this comes at a high price in that if it doesn't work I have to start all over again, but this one is working so far . . .

Thanks, chaps . . . here's a slight detour . . .

I am fighting very hard NOT to make this one too gunky and far-gone, but what's an industrial space without a name. I've been working on this one for the last couple of days and I think it's finally looking like a good sign . . .

It's made with a 2" cardboard letter template, styrene, and plastic letters from Office Depot . . . the rest is paint, crackle paint, and washes, with a little bit of airbrushing thrown in for good measure . ..

IMG_4424-vi.jpg

IMG_4427-vi.jpg

IMG_4430-vi.jpg

Thanks, Jim . . . and by the way, if anyone has reference pictures of warehouse siding (not corrugated tin siding) I would love for you to share it with me here . . . I am looking for ideas for paint color and weathering when the time comes.

Thanks in advance.