Model Cars Magazine Forum

making a choice

Scale has little to do with my purchases; it all boils down to subject matter; I do, however, only buy kits that I have an interest in.

It's been years since I've gotten a kit as a gift, and my build percentage of 'gift kits' is zero. If I don't choose the kit, there's no real enthusiasm to do anything with it.

i think there's something of a challenge when you're given the opportunity to try something out of your comfort zone.... i picked up the habit of building stick-and-paper airplanes once, when i was bored with cars.... i don't build them now, but i do read up on them to keep tabs. used to build ships and tanks; still have a sailing ship on display..... found a box full of old Airfix military figures that i had painted about twenty years ago, still smell of "toy soldier" polyethylene!

i pursue better techniques by experimenting on other genres... some things don't "translate" into model cars as well as in other styles, but finding a new/better/different way of doing things is the whole idea.

this has been an interesting thread.... different mindsets; different interests. it's all good when the last piece is painted and glued on!

I'm a Mod on an AirBrush site, The AirBrush Forum, and we have a lot of Members who do Models, DieCast, Figures, etc. all in the interest of AirBrushing. Techniques, procedures, guns, paint etc.

I think the only thing I would never think about building are those Gundam things.

I don't even know what a gundam Gundam really is.

CadillacPat

Scale does not bother me as it does others; subject matter and quality mean more.

Same for me Mark. I like the subject and to me the scale matters less. I picked up a few 1/20 scale built but unpainted kits at NNL east for cheap cheap and I am thrilled. One is an Entex 1/20 Porsche 914-6. Complete, in a bag, and 3 dollars !