Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Drag Car Info

John,

As Peter stated- Hot VW's magizne will have everything you are asking for. I have built a few VW turbo motors.

(see avatar) I know the roll bars are a mix of 1 3/4 and 2 inch size tube. There is a web site for (krawell racing) I my have that spelled wrong but the do turbo motors. Also Fisher buggies in Fla is a Pro Mod racer and has a Nasty car.

Hope this leads you to the info you need.

Clay :)

Thanks for the advice guys. I was hoping for a fast link to get an idea as to what's state of the art. I was heavily into the air cooled VW scene in the 80's. A lot has changed in 30-odd years I bet. I have an idea for a possible project that needs to be fed.

Speaking of which, Kawell Racing had that wicked-fast "convertible" Bus back then, Gene Bergs all steel '67 was pulling the wheels in every gear, and turbos and nitrous were years away.... and I was in my 20's and built a cool Cal Look Beetle for less that $5K. Those were the days.

BTW: The idea rattling around is a tube frame Dune Buggy drag car. I need to know if aluminum beams are still being used, or if its all strut or even solid axles now. Plus they narrow the rears, run 4bbl's on turbos, etc. This is all new and fun stuff for me. Dual 44 Webers on a 2180 was the top dog back then.

I've watched sand rails run 1/4 mile events, they are VERY wheelie prone. Larry's off road center in Dayton Ohio holds their "VW Nationals" each June, and might have some pics on his web site.

PS, I'm building a turbo engine for my Manx, they are quite popular now a days.

Edited by Craig Irwin

Up until 3 weeks ago I was shopping for a Dune Buggy project. The Wife wants a drop-top, I want a slot car. Compromise was to be a Buggy set up with a full cage and some horsepower. Then we had our accident .....

Tow truck lost the Acura he was towing and it came over the divider into on-coming traffic. Seven cars involved, Amy's pride & joy, her MINT '04 GTI, was totaled. Everyone else got scrapes, I had an Integre land in my lap. Thank God we weren't hurt badly, but during the weeks after my Wife stated that if we were in a Dune Buggy.....

Needless to say, we're no longer shopping for a Buggy. But she does want to see me building again, and a small Buggy would make her happy too.

Gotta go ... Ironically , I'm at therapy now.

Thanks Rich. I'm just grateful we didn't get seriously hurt. We both got whiplash and lost a few weeks of work. It could have been a bigger car that hit us, it could have stayed airborne and came through the windshield, or worst yet, it could have been the Barracuda.

She really loved that VW......