Model Cars Magazine Forum

CHILDHOODSCOOTER.jpg

CHILDHOODSCOOTER.jpg

This is a wooden Box Scooter that I built many years ago using model railroad lumber. As I remember, for the one that I built when I was a kid (12 or 13...???) I used a wooden box, a couple of pieces of 2x4, a roller skate and some frame pieces from an old baby carriage... (for handles and exhaust pipes) I put Maxwell House coffee can lids on the front for "headlights" and painted flames on it... I used to fly down a hill on 183rd Street in the Bronx, NY on this thing... Not so fast going back up the hill but man was it fun... I think my influences from all the parts in the model kits at the time (60's) made me do the real thing up the way I did.

Nothin like childhood memories...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Growing up in northern California we would use the same 2X4 base with roller skates, but we had millions of "lug boxes" from the fruit ranches. We'd stand them up, put a piece of 1X2 across the top for handle bars, and awaaaaay we'd go. We had plenty of hills, but found out quickly that roller skate wheels would stick on every little rock in the road.

Gave truth to "head over heels".

Here's a recent pic showing about halfway up the hill to the house. Nothing like the San Francisco hills where my dad lived, but then....we didn't have any sidewalks or poles to grab hold of. I think we really needed some kind of rubber lawn cart wheels...but that would have made a whole new project. ;) Good memories, Richard. Thanks.

058-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by deja-view

Thinking about this "scooter", I was wondering if any of you know where I can get a 1/6 scale Lambretta. circa late 1950's-early 1960's? I see 1/12 scale Vespas and a few later Lambrettas on Ebay, but I know the 1/6 scale does exist.