Model Cars Magazine Forum

2009 Dodge Challenger

allparish12

thanks cliff...i was aware of Icenine, but for the love of me, i could NOT remember the name when i got home. I have them saved as a favorite at work...lol...

thanks for the tip too...the styrene sheet i used was actually perfect imo and it only required one layer...i just need to glue it down. I think i will go ahead and make the trip to my LHS or nearest without being too far hobby shop today...lol...Im even thinking about cutting the top :o but we'll see....I dont want to stretch myself too thin with my first car back into modeling.

Guest Sickfish

No prob's mate  & yeh you're probably right, don't spread yourself too thin on your 1st build back... We all have done that after some type of modeling "hiatus" & the kit usually winds up on the shelf or bin... Uncompleted 

Most important thing is having fun with it, not getting too complicated therefore stressing out over every little detail 

Cheers Cliffo 

ok...so i talked myself into going to my LHS and man i didnt realize how expensive some of that stuff was...lol...but i ended up getting some white putty

squr1500.jpg

and some glue

jetr0768.jpg

so i think i will try and work on it some today, but mainly my time will be spent shaping up the "billboard" (thanks Cliff), and glueing the rest of the body (bumpers) together, so that i can remove the tape...Since i will be doing some sanding, i will go ahead and do my presanding of the car to get it ready for prime sometime this week...

So this weekend, I finally got around to doing some REAL modeling. My fiance helped me clean out the shed( i will post pics of my workbench soon)... so now i have a place to go and work on my cars. So with that being said, I got the billboards attached to the sides of the car...I have pictures, but I took them with my phone so the quality isnt that great...I will try to take some with the digital camera this evening. I also cut the trunk then ran into a slight problem. I guess in the world of styrene and sracthbuilding, there isnt anything that cant be fixed if you have a little creativity and ingenuity, but it was an unforseen problem. So I just have to rethink this a little bit, but i dont forsee it becoming a major setback...

IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

ok guys...its been a couple of weeks...had to order some supplies and i even managed to find some nice rims :D ...

right now, i'm trying to solve this dilemma i have with me opening the trunk...i've toyed with a couple of ideas, but i just havent had time to go into the lab to work on it...i hope to post some pics later this week

• 7 months later...

hey everyone...man time sure does fly...cant believe its been since august that i've worked on the car...finally fininshing up some home renovations and starting to find time to get back to modeling...this week was the most substantial amount of time i've been able to do anything...mostly still in prototype/design phase trying to figure out exactly what in the world i want to do to the model...anyway, here are a couple of pics of some stuff i was able to do...keep in mind, im still experimenting with ideas (believe it or not, this is the first time i've successfully opened a hinged trunk...lol)...any feedback is appreciated

To dos:

-custom trunk audio set up...i've been trying to find a place to get some resin tv's .."thepartsbox" is where i got them the last time i bought them but i mistakenly threw all of my audio stuff away when i moved from my apt to my house a couple years ago...im thinking i could just scratchbuild something and cast those for future models...thats shouldnt be too hard right??

-possibly cutting the top off or cutting a sun roof

-possibly adding a chrome ring to the rims

-doing some interior audio stuff...possibly just a dash tv or maybe something out of the glove compartment

im thinking of doing something very similar to this car:

dodge-challenger-blacktop.jpg

so far here is what i got

20120329_193841.jpg

20120329_193854.jpg

trying to decide which wheels i want to use

20120323_115717.jpg

Edited by allparish12

I think you've done some pretty nice work so far and I like where you are going with this. The first picture above is sweet and great inspiration. That being said, I don't love the wheels you've shown. They just look too big and would really prevent you from doing any lowering, if you were to go that way. The nice thing about the Challenger and the Magnums is that they can handle big wheels, but the one's you've shown look like they would scale out to maybe 24"-26" and give it too much of a "donk" appearance.

Now, if you like them, go for it! It's your model first and foremost. This is just my $0.02. Keep up the good work.

thanks for the comments Ryan...at this point, im still experimenting...i have made some other changes since i posted those pics. I really dont want the donk look, but as you mentioned, i do like the look of the bigger rim/tire combo...i will keep experimenting...

i still have yet to decide how i want to paint it...i just have too many ideas....lol

• 1 month later...

heres the one i would like to do. its a challenger from mopar performance. it has a V10! you can actually buy this car, but its like 80,000 bucks! i really like it tho.

mopars-v10-challenger-drag-pakturn-key-ready-for-nhra-stock-or-sup.jpg

keep your project goin, cool idea. lookin good!

cheers

bryan m

• 8 months later...

man, i cant believe how much time has passed since i started this thread...

well a few updates...

-work gets the best of us and makes time fly

-celebrated my 1 year anniversary since i last updated this thread...YAY!

-i am too indecisive...i strayed away from my original plan and tried to incorporate too much into my first build back to the hobby...so i think i pretty much destroyed the body. Im pretty sure its not salvageable at this point. I've tried to find a resin of the body but so far, doesnt look like that will be possible...SOOO its either rebuy the kit and stick to my original plan or start a new build...

what say you guys? what do ya'll think?