Model Cars Magazine Forum

427 Cobra

CAL

wow, the paint looks gorgeous! Post more pics.

Thanks, it's my first time clearing with Future. I was pretty impressed myself.

I also spent a lot of time polishing and retouching and polishing the Tamiya Italian Red before airbrushing 3 coats of Future.

It's not perfect, but it's one of my best paint jobs to date. I don't know, red has been troublesome for me, whereas Boyds Orange Met. turns out perfect every time. Yellow has been 50/50 split.

I will get some more pix uploaded soon.

cobnose.jpg

Another thing I have notices that I might be over working it. I will be downstairs with a bunch of artificial lights and see all kinds of little problems and defects in the paint. I take it upstairs in the sunlight and it looks perfect.

I am pretty happy with it, I just have a little orange peel in the future on the top behind the hood. Again take it up to the sunlight and it's invisable, plus add the windshield frame and ... I am done.

Needless to say, and I never thought I would say this, but I am sold on Future as a modelers best friend.

And really my old Olympus D520 isn't doing it justic.

Edited by CAL

Thanks for all the kind words,

I agree that red is just the 427 Cobra's color.

It's kind of like Yellow on a Porsche GT2 and sorry to say it but Purple on a Diablo, only a Diablo can pull off Purple IMHO.

I was anti Future for a long time, but I am sold, now.

I tried brushing it at first, which gave pretty good results. No brush strokes or anything like that. I just had a problem with dirts and nibs brushing it.

I would say if all possible airbrush the stuff. It's pretty easy:

I sprayed Future straight out of the bottle. It's plenty thin, maybe too thin, so you'll have to watch out for runs. Note small runs will self-level when it dries.

It helps if you down the PSI and close the needle a bit and work from the top down. The sides are the only place I had a little trouble. However, it sands easy or strips just as easy and reshoot. A sanding and polishing note: I found no polish that didn't disturb the Future coat. Maybe I didn't let it dry enough. Zymol didn't strip it but left some streaking. I heard most other waxes and polish will take Future right off. Wet sanding will also take Future right off and had best luck with dry sanding it with Micromeshes.

Cleaning I just used some ISO, I first tried acetone but that didn't touch it.

And like I said before, you still need a pretty good base or color coat becaue it wont fix everything: some minor scratches and imperfections, and will give you an unbelieveable shine.

I seems to stay somewhat soft though and is easy to put a nick or dent in the Future finish. So just becareful handling it. It will also show every fingerprint everytime you touch it. I might just start wearing those little cotton gloves :) They wipe right off, but nevertheless it's so glossy it shows everything, at least under florecent (day) light which is what I am using in my studio. True day light not so much. It looks outstanding in daylight.

My next experiement is a flat base with future top coat: an Aotake Nova. :D