Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Devil's Cadillac

Dr. Cranky

Hello, maties, D. Cranky here bringing you another building chapter from D. Cranky's Workshop . . . this time, after almost getting fried on so many flat and rusty paintjobs, I've decided to return to shine & light!!!

So, take your comfy seat, and share the experience of putting this one together with me. Thanks for looking and not getting pop corn butter the computer keys! :):rolleyes:B)

Edited by DamnCranky

The Revell/Monogram 59 Cadillac is an excellent kit. Clean parts that fit together well, and the rest, well, the rest is just having fun building this one with a bit of attitude.

After I washed the body in warm soapy water, I decided to open the trunk used the back of an 11 Xacto blade . . . going slow and methodically around the corners, until the truck lid was removed . . .

Then using some thin wire and copper tubing and some H-channel plastic rod, I fashioned a working hinge . . . nothing complicated but it's good to do a clean job on the building of it, although it's really not going to show, but you want the thing to work properly.

IMG_0004-vi.jpg

IMG_0002-vi.jpg

IMG_0008-vi.jpg

IMG_0010-vi.jpg

Obviously I removed the top so that the beauty of the impending interior will show through and through . . .

I messaged the body with a 400 grade sandpaper . . . and smoothed the doors . . .

After the whole thing dried, I sprayed the Plastikote gray primer in light coats . . . until full coverage.

IMG_0011-vi.jpg

IMG_0012-vi.jpg

IMG_0015-vi.jpg

All right, maties, here are the steps I took to get to where I am now with the paint job.

1) washed the body with warm soapy water, smoothed it down with a 400 grade sheet . . .

2) used Plastikote gray primer

3) used HOK basecoat black--light coats until good coverage

4) used HOK Orion Silver base coat--light coats over the black unti full coverage

5) used HOK silver-white marbelizer & saran wrap to give the silver a gauzy/smoke look . . . it worked!

6) used Craig Fraser skull templates with the original blackbase coats . . . this kind of paint dries very fast with FAST REDUCER so you can move the template around and you try to get the best compostion . . .

7) used HOK Pagan Gold candy at the front and faded it toward the back

8) used HOK Tangerine cany at the front and faded it toward the back.

9) used HOK Apple candy at the middle and fogged it toward the back.

10) used HOK Brankywine candy from the decklid toward the back . . .

Let everything dry for 20 or so minutes, and then repeat all the candy steps from the rear to the front . . .

Here are the results . . . the body dried overnight, and next up is a few coats of clear, but before that I have to paint some skulls on the underside of both the hood and the trunk lids, this way they show the same "damned-souls" quality to the paintjob on the body . . .

IMG_0006-vi.jpg

IMG_0001-vi.jpg

IMG_0002-vi.jpg

IMG_0005-vi.jpg

The interior is going to have some upholstery but it will be mostly red/black flat paint . . . with lots of accents for the most contrast . . .

Obviously I removed the top so that the beauty of the impending interior will show through and through . . .

You's the man, Doc :P ---a master craftsman, even with yer words. Love the 'impending interior' thing--almost has a threatening, sinister sound to it :rolleyes::D:)

Can't wait to see them skulls under some 'glass' :rolleyes:

Stay tuned in for some more progress, folks . . . and oh, for those of you who are interested in knowing how I got the skulls on there, I used the Craig Fraser templates . . . he's made a whole bunch of them, all great. For our uses the Minis and the Nanos work best . . .

IMG_0008-vi.jpg

IMG_0007-vi.jpg

They are excellent and last a lifetime . . . and oh, you can keep them clean by dipping them in lacquer thinner, and no, they don't curl. You can get them directly from Medea/Iwata or from Craig's website:

http://www.gotpaint.com/

Okay, here's some more progress . . .

I put a few coats of HOK intercoat clear just in case I would not be able to shoot the clear for the next couple of days . . . with all this bad weather and humidity . . .

Intercoat clear allows you all the time you need to put clear on a vehicle . . .

IMG_0011-vi.jpg

A few coats goes a long ways . . . and it seals your paintjob well . . .

IMG_0012-vi.jpg

The other plus is that it dries really thin and you can handle it within an hour or so . . . less in humidity . . .

Here's the work under the hood . . .

IMG_0021-vi.jpg

And here's the underneath of the trunk lid . . . I went with a yellowish candy because there's something that's going to be glowing out of the trunk . . . but that's another story, or as some folks like to say, we'll cross that bridge when we get there . . .

IMG_0020-vi.jpg