Model Cars Magazine Forum

2009 Plymouth Cuda

jjsipes

Here is one that I have been messing around the past few evenings modifying.

I am taking a Revell 2009 Challenger and the grille and tailights from the Revell 1971 Cuda and making a 2009 Plymouth Cuda. I had seen a real one the Mr Norms of the famed Grand Spaulding Dodge had up at the Chrysler at Carlisle show this year. His was a convertible but, I myslef don't care much for convertibles so I will leave this one as a coupe.

I cut the stock Chally hood scoop out and replaced it it with sheet plastic and I will cut a hole for the shaker scoop once I get the hood squared away and looking good.

DSC00127.jpg

I cut the stock Chally grille and headlight surrounds out and replaced them with the '71 Cuda grille and moved the headlight surrounds back behind the face of the grille. If i left them where they were the grille would have protruded out beyond the top of the bumper cover (header panel).

DSC00129.jpg

I have replaced the Chally tailights with the pieces from the Cuda as well.

DSC00128.jpg

I took the body out the wood shed and used a wood file, to make it go easrier, and straightened out the body lie down the side. So far the body has been thick enough that I have not went through yet, although it is getting a little thin.

DSC00130.jpg

Finally a picture of the inspiration.

1000.jpg

What do you all think? Not sure about colors yet?

Edited by jjsipes

Caine440 - I have a coat of Squadron white putty and then a top coat of automotive red spot glazing to fill any left over voids

Zuk - I found the picture on the internet after seeing the real car at Carlisle. Go to www.mrnormsgarage.com for pics of orange one or www.lincah.com/2009-mr-norms-426-hemi-challenger-and-426-hemi-cuda-convertibles/2009-mr-norms-426-hemi-cuda-convertible-rear-side-view for the yellow one.

Olarge1 - Have been looking at the fender gills but have tackled that yet. And as far as getting a real one, I have a 2009 Challenger R/T Classic in B5 blue. Love it. Gets alot of attention. I have built a model of it as well. Here it is.

DSC00112.jpg

Edited by jjsipes

nice job! wow that looks great! do you mind if i was to steal that idea? i want to build a NEW 'cuda! i saw one in a mopar mag! some company is doing a convertion on the challengers right now! in 1/1 scale!

Steal away. I too have seen them in magazines but, I have also seen in person. That Mr. Norm is awesome. He sold / modified Mopar back in the 60's and still doing it today. Not sure if anybody else is doing the same conversation or not though. I have also seen some convertible Challengers as well. This was all seen at this years Chrysler at Carlisle. Great show. Mr. Norm also had a silver 2009 Cuda Coupe there.

In part:

I have also seen some convertible Challengers as well. This was all seen at this years Chrysler at Carlisle. Great show. Mr. Norm also had a silver 2009 Cuda Coupe there.

I have a few pics of late-model topless Challengers...

9ChallengerSRT8RoadsterConcept-vi.jpg

Here's one by West Coast Kustoms...

eChallengerwidebodyconvertible-vi.jpg

I think the roadster is cool.

• 3 weeks later...
For those who like Sub Lime Green, how about a 2009 Challenger in Sub Lime Green. Seen this at Carlisle as well but found this pic on the net.

3707724795_3babb5fef3.jpg

That's BRIGHT! But I think I'd go with '69 Plymouth code F-6 Bright Green Metallic, I painted my '56 Chevy Bel-Air this color in '69, had to wait six months after the color was in the showroom before any paint supplier could get the mix formula. The only bad thing was that I couldn't go through town on a weekend without getting pulled over just to look it over. Think the fenderwell exit headers with 18 inch glasspacks that we cut open & removed all of the "innards" from, along with the radical cam, no front bumper, grille, or splash pans might have had something to do with that? The girl friend that I had then made me sell it, 'cause it only got 5 miles to the gallon, on the highway, now she's the wife of 37 years, & sure wishes we still had it.