Model Cars Magazine Forum

Snake Skin Challengers on Fire

Dr. Cranky

Just fooling around with the airbrush again . . . and I had been wanting to build a couple of these Revell 2009 Challengers.

Used House of Kolor bases and candies . . . and right now they also have a fine coat of sparkling flakes . . . clear coats are coming up next . . . enjoy . . .

IMG_1917-vi.jpg

IMG_1918-vi.jpg

IMG_1919-vi.jpg

Thanks, George, actually this kind of stuff is not hard at all once you get the hang of working with the airbrush and House of Kolor paints, getting the right consistency to the paint/reducer mixture . . .

Here are the steps I took:

1) Plastikote gray primer--for the primer I always rattle can it although I can see how you can get great results with the airbrush . . .

2) Black base coat (HOK)--Using this airbrush:

Kustom-TH240w.jpg

3) Then using my IWATA Micron C Plus, I put a few drops of white (HOK) into the cup--you really don't need that much, and you certainly want to put the lid on it so none of it spills are you are working with the templates . . .

IMG_1921-vi.jpg

One of our members here JayVee has a much better tutorial on how to use and make these templates . . . but I can't remember or know where that thread would be . . .

Anyway, I'm using a variety of templates here, including these NANO TRUE FIRE templates from Mike Levalle's shop: www.killerpaint.com, but you can also get all your painting supplies from www.coastairbrush.com, that's Craig Fraser's outfit out West . . . they have EVERYTHING you'd ever need.

The snake skin template comes from this great place:

http://www.istencils.com/

They have a variety of templates, and they are almost small enough to be used for 1/24th scale . . .

4) You work out all your patterns with the white paint, then . . .

5) I used both green and blue candies (HOK) to go over the white, each time trying to get more depth . . . I think I did three rounds of candies after each round of white coats . . .

Like everything else in this hobby: Practice makes perfect.

The one thing is you CANNOT be afraid of the airbrush!!!

THANKS for the info Virge, Not that I'll EVER be able ta do it as well as you, but it's sure as heck worth givin it a try!At least NOW I know where to start! THANKS AGAIN!!! :D:lol:;)

I like your paint jobs but it makes me think of something. Some people have wa-a-ay too much time on their hands.

Gary

Just fooling around with the airbrush again . . . and I had been wanting to build a couple of these Revell 2009 Challengers.

Used House of Kolor bases and candies . . . and right now they also have a fine coat of sparkling flakes . . . clear coats are coming up next . . . enjoy . . .

IMG_1917-vi.jpg

IMG_1918-vi.jpg

IMG_1919-vi.jpg

:D These are absolutely fantastic. Beautiful job. This might just inspire me enough to invest in an airbrush!

Thanks, folks, I appreciate the comments . . .

Hey, Big Gary, I'm a little confused by your comment . . . any kind of airbrushing is time consuming. I mean, any type of graphics on a car body takes time to get it just right . . . if that is what you mean . . .

A model ends up being the time you put into it.

Edited by DamnCranky

Nice work, I was on your page browesing your work and saw your flame practice board and ref pic, great stuff. You've got quit the collection of builds. I've added your page to my referance library, I hope you don't mind, I find your work to be very insperational.

Curt

Thanks, Curt . . . yeah, it's easy to create a reference library for fire if you have one of those open bbqs laying around . . . next time you bbq, do it at night and just take pictures of the flames . . . this way you get to eat AND enjoy a small fire. The best results come from a small bonfire . . . .