Model Cars Magazine Forum

Welcome to the group. First, some friendly advice: you need to sign your emails with your real name or Jarius will "yell" at you. Ok, that's over with.

As for the wing, well, I've been wondering this, too. I do not know anyone who makes them for 1/24-1/25 scale trucks, but you might be able to adapt one from a 1/12 scale race car. Purchasing a 1/12 scale car just for the wing would be very expensive, but the guys that hang out in the "Big Boyz" forum might have some ideas where you could get one, or some ideas on how to make one. Shouldn't be that hard, right? Famous last words!

Good luck.

~B~,

When you register with a "Handle", you need to put your real name at the end of each post so we know who you are. Best way to do this is to post it in the "Signature Text Box" found in your Profile section of this board... up top!

As for the wing, MAKE IT YOURSELF!

Get yourself some Evergreen sheet plastic at your local Hobby Shop. Cut some 1/16 inch sheet plastic for the ribs and spar (support connecting the two ribs) and .010 for the sheet covering. Use a section of 1/4 to 7/32 tubing for the leading edge. Cut two ribs in a wing shape like this:

wing1-vi.jpg

Then assemble the end ribs, the leading edge and wing spar and glue to the .010 sheet. Bend and wrap the sheet plastic around the ribs gluing as you go.

wing2-vi.jpg

Block sand the ends and the sharp trailing edge and then attach a couple of end "fences" and trim them to shape.

Wet sand the whole thing with 1000 grit sandpaper and prime and paint gloss black and then alclad. The bottom structure can be made from Evergreen rod and painted the same way.

:)

It can be if you take it in steps and don't try to absorb everything in one sitting. Here are the pictures that I took building a wing for a 1/8th scale Pocher Ferrari F40 a few years ago. The steps are pretty much the same but the wing is slightly smaller than that you would be building for 1/24th scale trucks.

wing1-vi.jpg

wing3-vi.jpg

wing3-vi.jpg

wing4-vi.jpg

Sheet plastic is attached to the ribs and held together while drying.

wing5-vi.jpg

A little block sanding and primer....

wing6-vi.jpg

Since this wing is a bi-foil a second smaller wing is constructed...

wing7-vi.jpg

That one took a lot more sanding to shape due to it's smaller size but now it is primed and ready.

wing8-vi.jpg

wing9-vi.jpg

See?

It can be done and not too difficult at that... NOW, GET DIRTY!

8)

Cool pictures. You truely are an artist. Now, you mentioned 1/16" rod for the ribs& spar. Do you think that 1/8" tube for the leading edge would be too small? I've only seen those wings speeding down the highway & a few photos. Does anyone have any dimensions or where you would purchase a 1:1 wing?

Brandon,

I was emailing Danny Poulin (dannypoulin@sympatico.ca) about some decals, and he mentioned that he has made some wings out of aluminum. He told me he doesn't have any in stock right now but he is going to try & get some pics up on his new Website soon. I think he told me they were $12. I don't know if that is just the wing, or the wing I the base. Might have to build the base yourself.

Clint Freeman Components used to make one. In 2 sizes. Keep an eye on Ebay for one. the 2 sizes were because of sleeper roof heights. Flattops had a large wing, and high rise sleepers and cabovers had a smaller wing. I hope that helps a little. They were the same width by the way. Clint Freeman in unfortunately out of business, but if you do get his wings, you have to make the mounts, which are easy to replicate. Good luck with your project.

Had a few request for Turbo Wings and here's my version of them. This one is at a scaled 44" x 80". Looks a little big sitting on a single bunk snap Pete but I don't have a double bunk to take pictures right now. I'll make them to any size. Go to www.danmodeltruckworld.com for info

Wing004.jpg

Wing005.jpg

Wing003.jpg

Wing001.jpg

Later

Dan

Wild Child, Dan's wing in the pic is a good example of the size I tend to see on larger, say 60", flattop sleepers. Raised roof sleeper wings tend not to be as tall. You could use it on a cabover, just not the Kenworth K100 aerodyne as it might be too tall.