Just dug up a old model car kit that I had in storage that I haven't touched. Due to it being stored away for so long the paint has faded.
Now I want to spray paint it red but I haven't touched spray paint in 5 years so I've lost my touch on this matter and would like some advice from fellow experts. Here's what I did and the tools I have:
- I'm strictly using Tamiya Color, I've used them in the past and I love them. Currently using their Red, Semi Gloss Clear and Fine Surface Primer.
1) Sanded it out and then used 1200 grit to make the surface smooth
2) Primed it with two coats
3) I found a couple of nicks and cracks so I filled them in with putty and resanded it down
4) Primed it again with one coat
5) Waited 24 hours before waiting to apply the base color paint, which in this case is red, I did 2 nice coats, no runs.
Now this is where I'm stuck.
Currently the surface has sort of a matte grainy texture on it. I managed to find this picture on another forum which also has the same texture my model currently has:
Now I want to get rid of this texture and get the smooth glossy finish but I'm stuck on what steps to take next.
What do I do? Do I do:
1) Wet Sand with 3600 to 12000 -> Semi Gloss Coat -> Wet Sand -> Buff
2) Semi Gloss Coat with no sanding on top of paint coat -> Wet Sand with 3600 to 12000 -> Buff
I bought the Novus Polish kit on Ebay so I'm waiting for that to come in.