Model Cars Magazine Forum

Putting on tires without breaking suspension

Just curious if you guys have any tips for this? I always dread putting on the wheels because I inevitably break all kinds of stuff when I'm trying to snap the wheels onto the car.tried putting one on my current project this morning and the suspension came lose at every glue joint. I'm thinking I might sand down the piece that the wheel snaps onto tonight and see if it helps, had to reglue everything first.

I always put the wheel backs on the suspension before I attach them to the chassis. Once those parts are dry, I install the wheels and tires onto them. Sometimes, the tires will need a little trimming to fit the wheel backs easier.

I do it the same way Roger..

Same here. I sand down the shaft and/or open the hole until I have a smooth, but not loose fit. I take the ridge off until the part no longer "snaps" into place. Whether I put the wheels on the suspension before or after it is installed on the chassis depends upon several things. If the suspension is built up with separate spindles and A arms, it might be safer to put the wheels on after the whole suspension has been assembled on to the chassis. When gluing wheels on, make sure that they are straight and level.

Sometimes it is easier to get the body over the chassis without the wheels in the way. Unfortunately, these are usually the cars that make it hard to attach the wheels afterwards too. (Lowered cars with larger wheels where the wheel has to be worked up into the wheel well to attach it.)

Brandon, I always test fit wheels/spindles before any assembly, or , painting. If things are too tight I sand/file/trim as needed. I also don't put any paint on the spindles, (the part that goes inside the wheel) or , the inside of the wheels where they fit onto spindles. This way minimal force is required to attach. If everything is glued properly it should stay together. And yes, 'sometimes' (rarely) it's better to put the wheels on suspension 'before' attaching to chassis, but I don't normally do it that way. Hope this helps in future.

Edited by Speedfreak