A preface- I love this stuff, but I'm too picky for this hobby. I had to really get ahold of myself and bare down to finish the following projects. Waiting for my skill level to catch up with my wants and needs has been tough.
I've been broke down since April with an ankle injury. Originally (mis) diagnosed as just broken May 1st (I walked on it for two weeks before goin' to the doctor) and after enduring the first cast for six weeks in May and June, I ended up having surgery on it three weeks ago (forty staples, two screws, two pins) for a broken/torn tendon and ligament, and am now in my third cast . Point is, I thought I'd have LOTS of time to do this model-thing. Wrong. The main problem is distractions. Kids home from school made it hard to concentrate. Being fairly immobile for half this time period doesn't help. My back hurts a bitch after walking on a tilt, and with crutches, for over five months and makes it hard to set for any amount of time. The painkillers since the surgery are the worst. Fuzzyness, weird-dizzy and lightheadedness does NOT lend itself to detail work! My guitar playin' has suffered the same as the models. Good sleep has been tough to achieve. Concentration has been difficult.
Anyway, weaned off of the pills last week, kids are in school, so I got busy, and the results follow-
Wow. When I came back to this hobby in January I had no idea. I reckon I figured I'd build a model every week or so, in my spare time. Wrong... I've got one model completely finished for myself in all this time. In March I decided to build some of my friends' :Dream Cars"- what they'd own if they could. These were built to my friends' specs, including colors, tires & wheels, etc. The only real change to any of them was the Thunderbolt, which I did drop some. Otherwise they're OoB stance-wise (I couldn't stand to have a real Mustang that sets stock like this one does!). The first four were finished this morning, and man- I'm tired. I am fairly satisified with the results, and I didn't get too carried away on details with engine wiring being the only real Micro-work. Unless you count BMF, and these were my first attempts at that LUNATIC part of the hobby. Actually, the Goat was my FIRST BMF, and it was enough to about freak me out. But I survived the deal, and it definitely gets easier. I also muted chrome with a wash, which I thinks adds tremendously to the looks of the final product.
Again, they're not pieces of art by any stretch, but they are what I intended- somethin my buddies can put on a shelf to enjoy and dream about. Thanks for lookin'.
Now, on to the next project...