I wound up with a bunch of very thin, almost transparent, styrene that I'd saved, but didn't know what I would use it for.
Well, in the midst of building/modifying a Mack CF pumper project, I decided to start over. I bought another kit and began the modifications.
All the while working on it, I wondered about what to do with the first one.
It finally dawned on me that I could further modify it into a Mack C model, possibly my favorite truck.
This would mean that I would have to scratch-build the cab.
I made a simple mold/form, by gluing three disposable lighters together, side by side, and filling the gaps with putty. I then sanded it flat on the side that I'd filled. This gave me something to form the laminated styrene to.
I found that certain yogurt containers are also made of styrene; polystyrene, to be exact.
Look for the recycle triangle with the number 6 and the letters P S (poly styrene).
Cassette tape and CD cases are also styrene, but they're thicker, flat and rigid. I use them for flat body panels, doors, etc.
I started with a rectangular piece from the yogurt container and glued a sheet of the thin styrene to it and formed them to the lighter 'mold', using rubber bands to hold it overnight.
After that, it was just a matter of adding layers of the thin, red styrene and re-forming it onto the lighters.
When the thickness was getting close to what I wanted, I set some folded cardboard between the styrene and the mold, creating a slight arch, which was needed to achieve the appropriate shape for both the roof and the nose panel for the cab.
Both pieces are coming along quite nicely, actually better than I'd expected. When they're closer to being finished, I'll post some photos. That is, if the sun ever shines again.