Search the Community
Showing results for tags '440-6'.
Found 4 results
I built all of these Challengers, previously posted, in one batch. It allowed me to mix and match parts for the options desired on each. They were all painted in the same week. Having so many at once allowed me to build efficiently and gave freshly glued or painted parts time to dry before being handled again. Their completion resulted in a rainbow of E-bodies.
This is an AMT 70 Challenger built as a non R/T convertible. The engine is the 440-6 pack with the obligitory shaker hood. The up top is a resin piece from drag city casting. The luggage rack is from an original issue 1972 Grand Prix. I call the paint "Magazine Cover Yellow". The wheels are stock Magnum 500s and the tire letters were done with a Gelly Roll pen.
This started as a Lindberg 1972 Challenger kit. The overall lines of the car are not too bad but, unfortunately it has some cartoonish qualities which needed to be addressed. To start with, the molded in side scallops are of the wrong size and finger count to work with factory graphics. So...I had to sand them off since they could not be reworked. Second the imitation shaker hood and scoop were all wrong. In its place I sourced a 440-6 pack scoop from a Dodge 440. It covered the hole just right. The engine is a 440-6 pack from my parts box. The front grille needed some filing to get to fit properly and some BMF to look close to correct. The interior turned out alright in contrasting black and white. Overall the hood gave me the most trouble. Starting with an annoying warp, I progressively made things worse before they got as good as it is. Four repaints and replacement of the whole rear edge is what it took. I tried some textured paint to dress up the tail panel but it didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. One thing I did get right were the wheels and tires. I also NAILED the stance. I love the color as I was shooting for Mopar B5 blue metallic.
This is my second 69 Dodge Super Bee build. The first one was built (in silver) to be a slot car body. This one is the mixture of a glue bomb and the left overs from the slot car. . The wheels are custom one-offs built by marrying the 10 spokes from a 77 Monte Carlo snap kit with a set of forked, spoked wheels from an undetermined BMW kit. I wish I had more so I could try different colors. The decals were quite a challenge as the were VERY old and may have gotten damp sometime in the past. I did the usual BMF and lighting details in red and amber. I researched the real car details so I could duplicate them on the grille and tail panels. Overall the finished product came out pretty well.